Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed re primary school appeal please!

(5 Posts)
JacobsMummy29 Sun 14-Jun-15 10:26:28

Just wondered if anybody has come across the issue we are currently having? We have been rejected for all 3 of our preferred primary schools. 2 of the 3 were rejected on infant class size so we haven't bothered to appeal but our first choice school was rejected on the basis that we are out of catchment area so we have submitted an appeal and spent hours putting our case together. We are waiting for the appeal date to be issued but have now received a letter advising that the reason for rejection has now been changed to infant class size. The letter seems to indicate that infant class size can be used if the local authority feel that the class size will be breached "up to two years in the future" but having looked at the class organisation and numbers that have been provided by the school, it does not appear that they will be close to having 30 in any one class during the next two years. It almost feels as though they have seen our appeal and then completely moved the goal posts and tried to find another reason for not giving my son a place at the school. Does anybody know whether they are actually allowed to change the reason like this? And whether they then need to evidence how the maximum class size will be breached? Grateful for any advice as it now seems so unfair, and as though the time spent on our appeal has been a complete waste of time. Any advice gratefully received......

TagineKaput Tue 16-Jun-15 13:33:17

Hi, sorry I have no advice or experience, but this sounds very dodgy to me - surely if the class isn't at 30 now ICS can't be used as a reason. Hopefully someone else with more experience will be able to help.

tiggytape Tue 16-Jun-15 13:41:12

The letter seems to indicate that infant class size can be used if the local authority feel that the class size will be breached "up to two years in the future" but having looked at the class organisation and numbers that have been provided by the school, it does not appear that they will be close to having 30 in any one class during the next two years.

It is an ICS appeal if the classes will be mixed before Year 3 to form mixed age classes with 30 in each eg mixing 3 classes of 20 to form 2 mixed classes of 30.
You need to find out when and how they mix classes and how many are in each class are year group up to year 3 to then judge if their argument seems valid

prh47bridge Tue 16-Jun-15 16:02:37

It is not a question of what the LA "feel". It is a question of fact. If Reception, Y1 and Y2 were full to PAN would there be any classes of 30 pupils where the majority of pupils were from one of those three years? If the answer to that question is yes it is an ICS appeal.

The LA's appeal case should state how classes are organised. What does it say? And what is PAN for this school?

admission Tue 16-Jun-15 18:11:01

There is no doubt that the LA can say it is an infant class size case based on future prejudice. If the PAN is 10, 15 or 20 then there is a probability that it could be an infant class size regs case based on future prejudice. It is even possible with other funny numbers.
Can I suggest that you PM me and / or tiggytape and PRH with specific figures that the LA are quoting as we will I am sure be able to advice when we see the figures.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now