Advanced search

Advice on becoming a teacher in primary education

(7 Posts)
pixiepieliv Sat 13-Jun-15 18:52:52

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on choosing unis/uni courses that would be beneficial for me; I'd like to teach in a primary school with children with special educational needs. I also love English Literature, but was wondering if that would actually be of any benefit for me. Thanks smile

bloodyteenagers Sat 13-Jun-15 19:16:04

You do need a degree, then there are many routes into teaching - schools direct, assessment only, scitt, teach first and uni led.
For the pathways have a look on or dfe get into teaching.
As well as a degree you also need math, English and science.

I'd after doing your degree and you decide you want to teach a specific subject, there is also an option to do a SKE.

For sn, you do the qts, itt, school direct etc, then you would need
To do additional training specifically for vi, hi, or multi-sensory.

With some of the pathways it is also possible to do your degree alongside the teacher training.

Unis also transfer credits from previous qualifications and some life skills. So also contact the unis and get some advice from them.

It really is a minefield.

spanieleyes Sat 13-Jun-15 19:20:15

Do you have a degree?
If not there are two options. Either
Option 1: complete a degree in almost any subject ( and English would be perfect) and then go on to a PGCE ( advantage, if you change your mind, you still have a "useful" degree, disadvantage-SOME schools prefer option 2!)
Option 2: complete a degree in Primary Education ( and you could specialise in English) with QTS ( advantage-there are also special needs specialisms, disadvantages-if you change your mind your degree is pretty worthless)

CharlesRyder Sat 13-Jun-15 19:31:50

then you would need to do additional training specifically for vi, hi, or multi-sensory.

This is not the case. If you want to teach in SS take a regular route to QTS (opting for any SEN experience you can get) and then apply for your NQT year in SS.

bloodyteenagers Sat 13-Jun-15 19:52:07

It must vary by school then, the one I am in and our partners do not accept without additional training or lots of experience

Millymollymama Sat 13-Jun-15 21:35:49

You could do a BEd and do SEN modules and then do a MEd in SEN. Most mainstream primary schools will want you to be the best teacher you possibly can be and often you won't get the SEN coordinator role until you have built up your experience. If you want to teach in a special school, I would be inclined to ask what route they prefer. I would also volunteer in one to see if that type of school is what you want. I don't know any primary teachers who only teach SEN children in mainstream schools - you have to teach everyone.

CharlesRyder Sat 13-Jun-15 21:39:33

I teach SEN in mainstream (Resource provision) but it is a specialist job and you couldn't do it as an NQT. I have SS experience.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: