Talk

Advanced search

Terrible handwriting in Yr 4?

(8 Posts)
PatriciaHolm Mon 08-Jun-15 21:32:42

DS (9) has terrible handwriting. I mean so bad that I struggle to read it a lot of the time, and I've no idea how his teacher reads his stories, for example. He still gets "b" and "d" the wrong way round a fair amount of the time, and his spelling is terrible. We are nearly at the end of Y4 and he still can't write a paragraph people other than his (lovely) teacher can reliably read. It seems to be very small, and just practically illegible.

So, what to do? Everything else is fine; in fact more than fine, he's very much at the top of the class for maths, for example, and in the quiz team, and a good sportsman, etc; he's clearly bright. I doubt dyspraxia, for example, given he can play ball games well, could cycle without stabilisers at 3.

Dyslexia possibly? It's never been mentioned though. His speech was a bit slow to become clear, but he had horrible glue ear too, so I just blamed it on that. He's left handed too, but I think it's more than just being a bit awkward. He had a left handed pen which helps a bit I think.

Any ideas? We are planning lots of practise but he's very touchy about it.

ScrambledEggAndToast Mon 08-Jun-15 21:37:30

Loads of practise is probably for the best. My son is in year 7 and I would say that it's only now that he's getting to the point that his handwriting is legible most of the time. Before it was quite hit and miss. I'm sure I was a lot neater at his age!

TheTroubleWithAngels Mon 08-Jun-15 21:38:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BetsyBoop Tue 09-Jun-15 08:06:34

we use Speed Up in school - it's really effective and fun as well!

ArcheryAnnie Tue 09-Jun-15 08:23:20

My DS sounds like yours - tried everything, didnt work - and in y7 was diagnosed with dysgraphia. I confess at first I assumed this was a made up middle-class excuse for "has terrible handwriting" but it turns out to be a real thing.

How ia he with tool use generally? Eg, if he butters a piece of bread, does the bread slice end up looking as if an angry bear has been at it?

HellKitty Tue 09-Jun-15 09:14:03

My DC2 (15) is sailing through school and doing really well but his handwriting is awful, he knows it and his teachers mention it - a lot! Different pens have helped, even the size of the nib has made a difference. Can you make it into a game? Go into Rymans and let him pick out say, 5 of the loose pens? Or - and this really helped - get him to practise (make it fun) on the shower screen when he's having a bath or shower? Easy to rub off if he's embarrassed.

PatriciaHolm Tue 09-Jun-15 09:18:25

Thank you all! I agree that practise needs to be fun, and I've ordered that book, Betsey. I will try to find out about letter formation for lefties; his teacher in Y1 was amazing with him so hopefully the correct foundations were laid....

His general dexterity with balls etc is good but he still can't tie his shoelaces, and struggles with buttons. I will look up dysgraphia, thank you!

BetsyBoop Tue 09-Jun-15 23:19:57

hope you find the book useful. smile

One tip - instead of a doublesided blackboards we use large sheets of paper (eg sugar paper, wallpaper lining paper) stuck (blutac) either side of a flat door with the children sat down and holding the door between their knees - works almost as well as a double sided blackboard and it's free!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now