Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

SATs results

(34 Posts)
MummyPig24 Mon 08-Jun-15 06:33:26

Has anyone had their year 2 child's SATs result yet? Do we even get given the result?

mankyscotslass Mon 08-Jun-15 06:34:36

We usually get given them along with their school reports a week before school ends.

mrz Mon 08-Jun-15 07:01:26

You will be told the Teacher assessed level which is the level reported. You can request the test results but they aren't routinely reported to parents.

MummyPig24 Mon 08-Jun-15 07:28:17

Ok thanks, I guess we will get them with the reports.

bostonbaby Mon 08-Jun-15 22:37:01

We got ours before the end of last term

mrz Mon 08-Jun-15 22:40:35

Have they stopped teaching in the final term?

mankyscotslass Wed 10-Jun-15 07:06:04

mrz, more or less yes!

They are doing rehearsals for the leavers play, organising the mini industry they have (though I know this is helping with maths/DT/organising skills), and completing/colouring booklets for the yr5's who will be moving up.

Since they have gone back after half term, no proper maths lesson, and no homework.

It's the same every year. The teachers say they plan a completely fun term after the SATS.

Then the kids hit high school not having worked for close on 3 1/2 months and get a shock. confused

mrz Wed 10-Jun-15 07:10:46

In Year 2?
Even in Y6 we teach to the bitter end although in the final week there is usually a fun day provided by the Friends of the School.

mankyscotslass Wed 10-Jun-15 08:13:50

Sorry, DD is in Yr6, but even in yr2 they do very little this half term in terms of "work" - there are two school trips and a parents assembly - which does develop other skills. They do a lot of familiarisation with the junior school and the new classrooms they will be going into too.

Even the Yr2 reading books do't get changed as much this half term - the foot is definitely off the pedal! We get very little in the way of work home too for YR2 this half term, which is nice for them as they are tired.

Buttercup27 Wed 10-Jun-15 08:18:21

Wow! Our y2s work non stop up to the last week of term otherwise how would they be prepared for y3.
Y6 are slightly more relaxed and have rehearsals but are still working.

ragged Wed 10-Jun-15 18:39:57

Not sure what y2 kid is doing, has same sort of homework as ever just glad teacher doesn't have reason to moan about DS

y6 DS is mostly larking around, fine by me.

Snippets75 Fri 12-Jun-15 17:13:04

Hijacking this thread a bit here. I just asked my son's teacher (casually in passing!) how he did in the KS1 SATs and she said he scored average or above average in everything and there were no concerns. She offered to give me the results on Monday but didn't want to appear neurotic so I said don't worry. What does "average" translate to? 2b? Very very happy either way. So nice to know they are on track.

candlesandlight Fri 12-Jun-15 17:17:55

I think average used to be 2b but the govt have just changed it to 2a.

mrz Fri 12-Jun-15 17:21:05

The government haven't changed it

redskybynight Fri 12-Jun-15 18:25:56

"Average" depends on what the children in a specific cohort get! 2b is still the "expected" level at the end of Year 2 (though as this is the last year of having levels will be pretty meaningless going forward).

Clutterbugsmum Fri 12-Jun-15 18:27:21

My children school new levels are reported as

Working below (year) expectations
Working within (year) expectations
Working above (year) expectations

Which seemed to be more understandable by parents then the previous a,b,c level.

mrz Fri 12-Jun-15 18:43:04

Not for end of each Key Stage where levels are still required this year

SmileAndNod Wed 17-Jun-15 13:05:06

Our Y2 children are only doing their SATS this week apparently, they also had tests the week before half term hmm. Not sure when /if we get the results.

TeenAndTween Wed 17-Jun-15 14:21:24

Mrz If, say, my y5 child is operating at y4 standard, would I expect to get a report saying

Working within y4 expectations
OR
Working below y5 expectations ?

mrz Wed 17-Jun-15 17:02:17

It's up to individual schools how they assess against the new curriculum so there isn't a simple answer. We decided that below Y? Is too vague so would report where the child is in relation to the new year group expectations

AntandCleo Fri 19-Jun-15 13:47:14

Ok, so the teacher handed me DS1's results (without me asking) and he got 2A for reading, 2A for maths and 2B for writing. I am pleased but is this ok overall? From what I am reading here lots of kids seem to be getting 3+!

Heels99 Fri 19-Jun-15 14:36:57

2A Is above National average. 2b is national average. 3 is well above expected level.

notinminutenow Fri 19-Jun-15 17:26:18

It's an expectation not an average!

Heels99 Fri 19-Jun-15 17:39:44

On the letter from our school it says 'expected national average'.
Maybe they are wrong but regardless I think parents will get the gist.

notinminutenow Fri 19-Jun-15 18:00:17

Well it's a badly worded letter.

An expectation is just that, i.e. 2b at end KS1 (at present). An average can only be determined after crunching the results of the entire cohort nationally and is affected up or down depending on how bright that particular cohort is.

Parents I know are not particularly hung up on levels in isolation but if info is coming home, we like accuracy in these matters. But hey, we're strange like that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now