Talk

Advanced search

Any teachers moved to a Welsh school from an English one?

(17 Posts)
bsmirched Sat 06-Jun-15 10:07:24

I live very close to the border and potentially have the opportunity to apply for a job in a local Welsh primary. I currently work in England - and my son is in Reception at my school - and I'm incredibly disillusioned with it both as a teacher and a parent.
From the outside looking in, Wales appears to be better/slightly less test obsessed etc. Is this actually the case or am I fooling myself? Any thoughts appreciated !

fatowl Sat 06-Jun-15 13:16:02

Do you speak Welsh? If you're looking at North Wales you'll definitely need to.

bsmirched Sat 06-Jun-15 13:52:21

The school are happy as long as you're prepared to learn the basics.

mrz Sat 06-Jun-15 13:58:07

Less tests? At the minute Welsh children are tested every year.

bsmirched Sat 06-Jun-15 15:15:19

In primary, Mrz?

RoosterCogburn Sat 06-Jun-15 15:46:38

National tests from Y2 upwards in Primary Schools in Wales for reading and maths (procedural and reasoning).
Assessment is being scrutinised by regional consortia in order to secure reliability and consistency of Teacher Assessment in Wales.

RoosterCogburn Sat 06-Jun-15 15:47:57

Latest info on testing in Wales

bsmirched Sat 06-Jun-15 19:49:59

Well we test our children sternly (in KS2 ) so it doesn't look any worse! I suppose it's the fact that it feels like 90% of what I have to do is "incase Ofsted comes in" which makes school relentless for children and staff.

mrz Sat 06-Jun-15 20:01:59

There are only national tests at the end if KS2 not every year ... Any other testing is the schools choice.

RoosterCogburn Sat 06-Jun-15 20:07:17

In Wales we have ESTYN so you still have the relentless 'in case ESTYN come'
or if your school is in ESTYN monitoring or RI you will be awaiting an imminent visit

ppolly Sat 06-Jun-15 20:34:08

I don't think it is any worse. There is testing every year but if you avoid year 2 and year 6 primary and go to a school that has a sane attitude toward testing, it might even be better.

mrz Sat 06-Jun-15 20:38:15

I agree it's no worse or better just different

mrz Sat 06-Jun-15 20:40:53

I guess my point is that the grass isn't always greener just a different shade

bsmirched Sun 07-Jun-15 07:31:16

Hmm, yes, I thought that may be the case !
Is Estyn 1 day's notice , the same as Ofsted ?

RoosterCogburn Sun 07-Jun-15 14:59:08

Four weeks - positively leisurely compared to you!
Although the downside is it really craps on 4 weeks of your life because the pressure is really on during that period.

admission Sun 07-Jun-15 23:13:50

But the inspection in Wales can now be at less notice and certainly not now at the 6 year gap between inspections it used to be. It is also from Monday afternoon to Thursday morning for a primary school inspection and there will be more inspectors involved.

bsmirched Tue 09-Jun-15 21:44:50

Interesting , thank you .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now