Talk

Advanced search

help please on academy funding

(11 Posts)
Getdownfromtherethisinstant Sat 06-Jun-15 08:51:20

I have applied for a job as finance officer at a new (secondary) academy. It's all a bit last minute - saw the ad on wed, applied on thurs, got email yesterday saying I'd been shortlisted (squee!), and interviews on Tues! I've done this type of work before but never in a school and I've been on a two year career break, so to say I'm slightly cacking it about the interview is an understatement. Anyway, I though it would be a good idea to research how academies are funded in comparison with state schools and I plan to spend the next couple of evenings doing just that - but if anyone here knows of any resources they think may be useful, I'd be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction. TIA smile

whatsitallabout1 Sat 06-Jun-15 14:03:30

I'm primary not Secondary but it's the Education Funding Agency you need to explore!:

www.gov.uk/government/organisations/education-funding-agency

Good luck!

Ragusa Sat 06-Jun-15 15:05:41

You need to look at the Academies Financial Handbook

Ragusa Sat 06-Jun-15 15:06:20

And good luck!

sinclair Sat 06-Jun-15 16:09:48

Came on to say Academies Financial Handbook too. I am doing a Dip SBM and it is textbook for us. Look at the National College Competency Framework for School Business Managers too - Gov framework - it is broader than just Finance but it gives you vocab and some key words - which may be useful.

If you haven't worked in education before you may find the interview quite formulaic - there will be a safeguarding question, so look that up on their website (policy should be up there) and they may be a desk exercise (they should tell you if they are going to do that) and student panel.

Good luck and come back and tell us how you got on!

Getdownfromtherethisinstant Sat 06-Jun-15 18:44:34

Thank you all! That's really useful info. I've not worked in education, but have spent most of my employment in the LA so I'm familiar with the interview process (from both sides!) and was anticipating the safeguarding question but hadn't thought to look at their specific policy. I've read their prospectus and have a couple of (hopefully) interesting questions to ask them. Have also borrowed suit jacket, and panic bought dress and control pants.....hmm
Will let you know how I get on!

sinclair Sun 07-Jun-15 17:10:39

You sound perfectly prepared and correctly prioritised - I live in my Primark magic knickers and haunt the local 'designer' dress agency. You will rock it -good luck

Getdownfromtherethisinstant Sun 07-Jun-15 17:34:02

Having reread their email it suggests it may be an 'open' interview...shockshock

Will update later!

Getdownfromtherethisinstant Mon 08-Jun-15 18:00:00

Further info arrived today. I have a half hour task, followed by half hour exercise, followed by half interview. No idea if this is individual or in a group. And not allowed details of the task or exercise in advance. Am officially bricking it so any pearls of wisdom would be gratefully received...!

admission Mon 08-Jun-15 19:51:44

The tasks will be on your own in all probability. The task and exercise will probably be something around the school finances - school is in deficit, what would you recommend to remove the deficit type thing and then possibly be something around a whole serious of tasks to undertake, how would you prioritise them. Well that is what i would do if I was interviewing for the position.
30 minutes as an interview is not long, that will only be about 8 questions, so you will have to try and weave your magic questions into the answers to their questions.

Getdownfromtherethisinstant Thu 18-Jun-15 18:35:34

I did promise to update. I didn't get the job, but had very positive feedback which was a real boost. And then two days ago the head called and offered me another job as office manager! I'm so chuffed. Thank you to you all for your advice, it definitely helped. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now