Child struggling in reception

(81 Posts)
ipsos Sun 31-May-15 17:49:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheTroubleWithAngels Sun 31-May-15 18:06:16

That card game sounds absolutely fine tbh, especially for a child who is reading so well. I assume it is the Jolly Phonics actions?

Of course, classroom atmosphere/ teacher pressure may make the situation different.

The two afternoons off might be making it worse for him. I would say it would certainly be having an effect socially if he is the only one to leave.

ipsos Sun 31-May-15 18:10:25

ipsos Sun 31-May-15 18:13:41

TheTroubleWithAngels Sun 31-May-15 18:15:21

I kind of wish were in the Scottish system, where I gather that all kids would be doing mornings at this age and so he wouldn't be socially disadvantaged.

I'm afraid you've got the wrong end of the stick. Scottish kids mostly do mornings until September. They're certainly all full time by now.

Try these with him and see if he recognises them.

I think you are being a little precious, tbh. Reception kids do get tired, especially at this point in the year, but the teachers cope with that. Your DS will be missing a lot with those two afternoons off.

TheTroubleWithAngels Sun 31-May-15 18:15:49

No problem- glad you found them.

I like the castanets best grin

ipsos Sun 31-May-15 18:16:19

TheTroubleWithAngels Sun 31-May-15 18:18:03

TBH, that's mostly it for JP! It's a very simple system.

Opheliabumps Sun 31-May-15 18:23:33

Are you sure the burnout is coming from the workload? Reception has very little structured learning and lots of things like learning through play, as well as free play. Have you asked him about what he likes/doesn't like about his school day, whch friends he plays with etc? My DD had some stress at the start of Y1 which I initially thought was down to the extra work, but turned out to be friendship related.

In my experience going full time in YR is good preparation for the increase in structured learning in Y1, I would be concerned that if you reduce his school hours in the summer term he could really struggle in September when he moves into Y1.

Mopmay Sun 31-May-15 18:23:58

All sounds pushy to me - it is private school?

Mopmay Sun 31-May-15 18:25:21

Sorry I meant it must be pushy if he's getting burnt out in reception !!?!? ORT 17 ?

momtothree Sun 31-May-15 18:26:02

All kids get tired towards the end of a term. The reception children mix work and play and the teacher is assessing the children all the time to meet targets in class. There are loads of targets and you can request them any time and some schools give out copies at parents evenings. Not sure why you want the teacher to ease off the whole class because your child is feeling pressured he needs to deal with the competiteness at school because it gets worse not better. Teach him that some times you win some times you dont and that today wasnt your turn. We can ll read as adults and kids have highs and lows in school how they deal with it and keep up is up to you. Send him in full time not really sure why you are taking him out - you will be seen as one of those mothers!!

Shannaratiger Sun 31-May-15 18:30:55

I agree leave him full time. I've heard many occasions of kids falling asleep in the afternoon. Check that things are OK especially at playtime. Speak to his class teacher.

hazeyjane Sun 31-May-15 18:32:03

I am surprised that he is still not doing ft hours tbh. Ds gets knackered from school, his friend has a sleep most afternoons (it is a special needs resource base) - but despite this they are all full time. When ds gets in I give him a big snack and put his pyjamas on, because he is just pooped!

ORT 17! Isn't that for upper juniors??

Opheliabumps Sun 31-May-15 18:37:42

I hadn't spotted that mopmay, ORT level 17 is surely a secondary school reading age? I didn't even know ORT went that high? Even if you mean level 7 OP that's still very advanced, so he can ease off on the reading to take some of the pressure off him.

enderwoman Sun 31-May-15 18:39:50

ORT 17 in Reception is amazing. The phoneme game must be insanely easy for him?

If it's a state school then I would expect much learning, in my experience they do a bit of numeracy and phonics daily (20 minutes each?) otherwise it's mainly learning through play.

TheTroubleWithAngels Sun 31-May-15 18:41:14

ORT definitely goes up to L17, with a recommended age range of 7-11 (I think).

Mopmay Sun 31-May-15 18:43:45

That's why I wondered of it was private. State reception is all play based except maybe 20 min phonics and 20 min numeracy. ORT 3 / 4 would be more normal. Most schools are not keen on PT as they do fun stuff later in the day and they like all the class in - ours do all sorts of stuff and are running about outside for hours. They are exhausted by term end but not 'burnt out?'

ipsos Sun 31-May-15 19:23:29

poppy70 Sun 31-May-15 19:34:02

To be honest its all a bit late in the day now. Results will be submited in a few weeks... So all targets are pretty much useless at this stage. Send him full time. He should be there. Never heard of a reception child reading ORT 17? You sure? He has no problem with phonemes if this is the case. Leave him be and let him go full time until the end of the year. He is obviously doing fine.

mrz Sun 31-May-15 19:42:34

The school must provide you with a summary of his achievement in reception and a written report at the end of the year. Many teachers will have been writing the reports over half term ready to go out in the next few weeks.

Littlefish Sun 31-May-15 19:43:11

I agree with Poppy.

mrz Sun 31-May-15 19:48:15

ORT is equivalent of old NC level 4/5 usually content unsuitable for reception aged child

Zebda Sun 31-May-15 19:57:49

To be reading at ORT 17 (this means your 5-6yo has the reading age of a 10-11 yo) in reception is astonishing....If this is the case (hmm) really would have expected the teacher to have taken you to one side by now to let you know that your child is exceptional. Have you have any parent evenings this year? What did they say?

Regarding how tired your child is, pretty much all NT kids are FT by the 3rd term of reception without difficulty AFAIK. I remember my DD being tired for the first couple of months, but she adapted. What's the rest of his routine like? Is he sleeping enough/eating well?

mrz Sun 31-May-15 19:59:28

How do you think your child will cope with full days and higher expectations in September OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now