Reigate Mums Primary School Advice Please

(13 Posts)
Cgolitko Thu 28-May-15 08:32:35

Hi Mums, We have just moved to the UK to Reigate and we need to rank 5 schools for our 4.5 year old. We were hoping for private schools and have figured out that Holmesdale and Reigate Parish are excellent but I would love advice for the others. As far as I can tell, there is Limetree, Wray Common, Sandcross, Dover's Green, and outside of Reigate is Newdigate, and North Downs. Were live close to the high street near the bottom of Nutley Lane. Are there any schools I am overlooking? I would love some thoughts about Limetree and the others if anyone is familiar. Thanks so much!

LIZS Thu 28-May-15 08:41:28

Have you ruled out private schools now? Lime Tree is moving in September to Merstham so will be more awkward for you to get to . Sandcross has improved significantly over past few years and would be slightly nearer than Wray Common. The village ones you mention have had a mixed time and several heads over recent years. Do any of them have a space for September ?

Imperialleather2 Thu 28-May-15 10:08:38

So do you need a reception place for September?

As far as I know the schools were really oversubscribed this year and quite a few on time people were allocated Salfords in Redhill as that was the nearest that had a space.

Sandcross looks as though it's going outstandin.

You seem to have though of all the state options

Cgolitko Thu 28-May-15 10:15:51

Thanks for your reply! My husband thought we had to rank the ones in our area then find out about open spaces but...are we supposed to find out who has spaces and then rank them? We are currently on one salary so trying for spots in this system before the private/independent school route. Thanks again!

NewTwenty Thu 28-May-15 10:19:06

If your child is already Reception age them your best bet is to call as many as you can and find out what spaces are available for September - then think about your preferences.

Cgolitko Thu 28-May-15 10:32:37

Thanks again everyone! Really appreciate all your input!!!

forago Thu 28-May-15 10:44:43

is this for this September? if so there is absolutely no point thinking about holmesdale, parish etc as they will be full. Contact the council and they will tell you where has space, it will be Salford's I imagine and you can join the waiting list for wray common, parish etc and hope you get to the top by September (and the others of course but pretty pointless).

if its for the year after, you need to put three on the form. make sure they are 3 you live closest too or you will again get Salford's or possibly lime tree? that's new since I left Reigate so I don't know what effect it had, if any, on the dire primary school place situation in Reigate.

My eldest is about to go to secondary school. 10 years ago he didn't get any reception place, despite us living 2 mins from the high St, and was eventually allocated Salford's in the summer (would have been v difficult logistically). We had already decided to go private by then and I work full time as a result.

I'd like to think the situation has improved a bit but I think its still very oversubscribed for school places in reigate. This year you'd have to just take wherever had a space now. if next year, you'll just be part of the usual distance lottery and will most probably get whichever school is the nearest, as per SCC website.

Cgolitko Thu 28-May-15 11:05:25

Thanks again, in case there are no slots available for the schools in Reigate, does anyone have recommendations for state schools in the surrounding areas?

forago Thu 28-May-15 11:17:49

I think Salford's or Lime Tree are your best bet, I don't know much about the village ones. I suspect if you go on all the waiting lists for September you'd eventuall get a place at wray common, sand cross or covers green? won't be a quick outcome though. I'd take wherever has space now and go on the waiting lists. People still in reigate now will have more up to date info about where currently has space (if any).

if for this September I am afraid you really are out of the realms of research and parental choice for this year (which is all illusionary anyway - you generally get your nearest school irrespective).

Any state schools further afield than the ones already mentioned (Bletchingly? Caterham?) you'd surely never get anywhere near the top of the waiting lists as you'd be competing with kids living much closer (and any moving into the area over the summer) - but I don't know, SCC do seem to be able to come up with places at this time of year (to scupper appeals) so you really need to talk to them asap.

forago Thu 28-May-15 11:22:48

ditto the ranking, thats only for in year, in time or whatever they're called applications, ie when you apply before the deadline which would have been December time?

Imperialleather2 Thu 28-May-15 13:10:02

I think Salfords is probably your only hope. Limetree is measured from the new Merstham site and is probably full from children more local than you will be to there.
Salfords is in special measures so a number of Reigate parents who were offered places there have not accepted them and opted for private. You may get lucky (or unlucky) and get a place there.

It depends what year you are looking at for September year 1 or reception. You could if you can get in anywhere, do private and then apply to the priory for year 3.

LIZS Thu 28-May-15 13:16:18

An alternative may be Nutfield Primary which was highly regarded but has been less popular in recent years. A pita to get to from central Reigate though. Or look up the A217 to Kingswood et al. Bear in mind most Redhill/Reigate schools are separate infant and junior so you reapply for year 3. I'd be surprised if a place didn't become available at Sandcross though as it has a large intake.

Cgolitko Thu 28-May-15 17:02:01

Thank you very much! The SCC says the only one with space is Merstham but to go on the waiting lists for ones that are closer as there is shifting as everyone mentioned. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and have a lovely evening!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now