Talk

Advanced search

Writing slopes - recommendations or instructions

(18 Posts)
goingmadinthecountry Tue 26-May-15 09:17:02

Has anyone made their own writing slope? They are hugely expensive and I'd like a couple more for children in my class. We have one of these www.tts-group.co.uk/shops/tts/Products/PD3029707/Comfy-Read-Write/?rguid=6102c3fb-0c5c-44fb-8326-77b69812b83c which seems to work well but money as always is a bit tight so we want to make sure we have the best.
All ideas welcome. Thanks.

mrz Tue 26-May-15 11:59:50

Try a sturdy lever arch file

HilarysMantelpiece Tue 26-May-15 12:10:22

These? in Ikea

WipsGlitter Tue 26-May-15 12:16:02

I was coming on to say Ikea as well.

mrz Tue 26-May-15 12:27:13

I've found the lip at the bottom of the slope an issue as sticks into child's arm

var123 Tue 26-May-15 13:49:08

Writing slopes seem to be the most over-priced item you can buy for your child! Two years on, and I am still smarting! It is A3 landscape size and in the end you need that for writing in an open A4 book or having another page on the desk to reference when writing e.g. reading comprehension.

The bottom lip on the ikea stand causes the child to hold their arm unnaturally highly, and then, quite quickly, their arms begin to ache. It achieves the opposite effect of what you'd use a writing slope for.

A sturdy lever arch file (as Mrz suggests) or maybe even just a ring binder can do the trick. I always suggest to anyone who asks for advice that they start with a level arch file and see if it makes the child more comfortable, and then decide on whether it is worth investing in the writing slope after a week or two. For some it doesn't actually make writing any easier.

Some children don't like using slopes because it makes them different and the desire to not stand out is greater than the need to be more comfortable writing and therefore writing more quickly and for longer.

Although DS1's writing really benefited from the writing slope, we found that there was more to consider than we originally thought. In the end. we found that only having a good pen was the best solution taking into account the twin needs of physical help and discretion.
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0036TGAVA

maizieD Tue 26-May-15 15:14:12

It's quite ironic really that one feature of my supposedly terrible, child abusive, 1950s primary education was the sloping desks in most classrooms...

It also helps to angle the book or sheet of paper about 45 degrees to the left for right handed children and about 45 degrees to the right for lefthanders. But perhaps people already know that.

goingmadinthecountry Wed 27-May-15 08:36:07

Thanks - we did start with lever arch files but I don't think they were sturdy enough. Will buy a couple of stronger ones - I'm always up for a trip to Staples! I agree about the Ikea laptop slope - it's not very sturdy either. I've got some of those non slip circles left from something else.

mrz Wed 27-May-15 08:41:01

I can't remember the brand of lever arch I bought last year (they were quite expensive for files under £10) but they have really strong front and back which don't bend

OddBoots Wed 27-May-15 08:42:30

There is a page here that suggests combining a clipboard with a lever arch.

FiveHoursSleep Wed 27-May-15 10:02:49

Have you seen these?
www.thebackshop.co.uk/posturepack

OddBoots Wed 27-May-15 10:13:13

My ds used to have those FiveHours - even without the cushion they were quite heavy to carry back and forth to school and the handles fell off easily. (although if they were left at school that wouldn't be a concern).

mrz Wed 27-May-15 10:27:54

That's a great idea oddboots!

goingmadinthecountry Wed 27-May-15 11:35:38

I love a little half term project. I'm going shopping now! Luckily, my children rarely mind trying out new ideas/gizmos. The great thing about folders is that they are affordable for parents to use at home too.

SilverDragonfly1 Thu 28-May-15 19:39:05

They look like something that could be made very easily in a DT workshop. Just a sheet of perspex, heated and bent in certain areas. DH makes stands for RC cars in the same way. Do you have any secondary school contacts who could help?

goingmadinthecountry Thu 28-May-15 23:05:48

That's sort of what I was thinking. We do have a link secondary school so I assume DT dept can do this. Will check after the holiday. I bought some non slip stuff from Tiger yesterday for either perspex or folders.

LIZS Fri 29-May-15 07:59:43

Fil made Ds's. It is hinged and has short supports which can be moved into place at either side. School used it as a template for others. A sturdy a4 file with paper can also work and is less conspicuous.

fortyfide Mon 08-Jun-15 11:50:36

My writing used to slpe backwards. But I straightened it with practice. I am left handed at most things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now