Talk

Advanced search

Waiting lists over summer holidays

(9 Posts)
cld1982 Sat 23-May-15 08:33:46

If we don't find out before end of term must we wait until September? We are on mix of community (so assume will still hear from council as thy are open) and voluntary (not sure in this as they manage own lists and schools are obviously closed)??

MiniSis Sat 23-May-15 08:54:46

You'll stay on until December when they close and you have to ask to be out on it again. They could call you through the holidays. I am in the same position as you x

reni1 Sat 23-May-15 16:54:08

Are you very high up the list? Our school (intake of 60) had 1 place in October of reception year, no movement in y1 and 2 places in September of y2, so you might wait much longer than September unfortunately.

MiniSis Sat 23-May-15 17:06:32

I'm 3rd on the list of first pref, DS has no place anywhere yet as we moved after the deadline so had to do a late application. We are 39th on 2nd pref and 11th om 3rd pref.

First pref school is our closest within catchment so unless they send him out of area (which they may do!) I can only keep my fingers crossed!

FairyPenguin Sat 23-May-15 17:09:29

People do get places in the summer holidays as others move away so you never know.

reni1 Sat 23-May-15 17:19:01

That is hard, MiniSis, but 3rd is really good. The child who got in in Oct in our school was not first on the list. I think once school started and uniforms are bought people get a bit reluctant to change.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Sat 23-May-15 17:22:41

I think what the OP meant was, if they haven't got in by the end of term, is everything 'on hold' until September. Or, if they were top of the list, could they get a call in, say, mid August if someone turned down a place.

I don't think she's asking about the chances of getting in off the waiting list. Just the mechanics of whether there is any movement over the school holidays when the schools themselves are obviously closed.

Have I understood correctly OP?

I don't know the answer. But I think that, at least for council based lists, since their offices are still open, you would still hear. Not sure about schools who administer their own list.

MiniSis Sat 23-May-15 17:52:59

Yes, she did and I said she would still hear in the summer, but yes this is only if the council hold the waiting list. When I called my LEA on Thursday they didn't hold the lists for the two VA schools I've put down, so I can't give an answer. OP could always phone the council and ask for clarification on the matter.

MiniSis Sat 23-May-15 17:55:15

reni1 people local to the area think he's in with a good shot! Most have said they think I'll hear through the summer or worst case first few weeks back. It's just damn stressful and annoying as I rejected his offered place in East Sussex as we aren't living there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now