Talk

Advanced search

West Dulwich v Herne Hill schools

(5 Posts)
londonlily Tue 19-May-15 20:39:15

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the area and looking at a place to buy on Thurlow Park Road in West Dulwich versus a few places in Herne Hill. I am pregnant with a 1 year old and would ideally like my child to go to a bilingual school. Are there any good ones in the area? Also, what's the view on schools like Oakfield, Rosemead or any of the public schools that are really good? I've read the catchment area changes all the time, so it's hard to buy based on a public school as it may change. Finally, does anyone have a view on Thurlow Park Rd? It is very busy, and I worry that it might not be the safest choice for young children or risky in terms of resale?

Thanks for your help

Mintyy Tue 19-May-15 20:45:22

Hello LondonLily, welcome to South London.

First of all you need to decide whether your children will be going to private (fee paying) schools or state (non fee paying) schools.

Very confusingly, fee paying schools are often known as "Public" schools in the UK. It's an old-fashioned thing.

State schools are the ones provided by the Government and no one has to pay to attend them.

I was driving down Thurlow Park Road just yesterday. Yes, it is busy for traffic. Wonderfully close to the beautiful Brockwell Park, but busy all the same.

MsPickle Tue 19-May-15 21:14:30

Hi Londonlily. I love this part of London. State school catchments are pretty tough though, it's not fixed, they depend on how many people apply. There are many excellent posters here who can guide you through the application process. Important to remember that you express a preference rather than a choice. Jkps on halfmoon lane is English -German which is the one I think you mean, at the moment they have a 50% proximity and 50% lottery so take from a wide area. Oversubscribed and doing well though. Most of the schools have had significant investment over the last few years so eve those less popular are rapidly improving. I can't really comment on the private schools although I know many are really happy with them. Lots going on for little ones, the park is brilliant and lots of playgroups etc. one thing I would think about on thurlow park road is parking, a lot is red route which if you've not got off street makes life complicated!

bialystockandbloom Tue 19-May-15 21:19:56

There's the Judith Kerr free school (bilingual German speaking) nearby. Oakfield and Rosemead are private (i.e. fee paying), and both fine. Herne Hill School is a pre-prep (goes to Year 2) which has a reputation for being quite pushy - bit of a feeder to Dulwich College, Japs etc, but I know a few children there and they're all lovely.

Elmwood state school is very good. As of course is Dulwich Village Infants/Juniors but the catchment is tiny and house prices soar because of it.

FrozenAteMyDaughter Wed 20-May-15 10:12:29

Depending what language you want, Bromley has a new bilingual French-English free primary school - La Fontaine Academy. It gets rave reviews on one of the threads on here. Currently it is on a temporary site but will probably end up located somewhere near central Bromley.

The reason I mention it is that I believe entry will be 50% proximity and 50% lottery so, if French is the language you want and you can bear the commute, it could be an option, especially as there is a regular train service from both West Dulwich and Herne Hill to Bromley South.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now