Advanced search

Private school fees

(5 Posts)
melody1981 Tue 19-May-15 17:43:05

My son studies in an independent school year 1 and I have to move back to india as my mother in laws surgery being planned in June. So we have to leave in 2nd week of June. I have talked to the headteacher and she says that we have to pay fees till december (for 7 months)as they consider notice for a full's going to be a huge amount for us to pay.she says it's the rules and she can't do anything. even I told her that it's an emergency she is not ready to consider.what can be done?what happens if I don't pay ?

PatriciaHolm Tue 19-May-15 17:54:33

It'll be in the contract you signed when you signed up to the school. A full terms notice - so giving notice before the start of the previous term- is standard and you are well beyond that.
As such, there is little you can do. You could ask again, and request that if they fill the place you are refunded.

If you don't pay, they can pursue you legally. There have been occasional instances of parents winning court cases, but they are rare and usually revolve around something else changing at the school which gives the parents a reason to leave; not a parental chance in circumstances

Millymollymama Tue 19-May-15 18:38:43

How long are you planning to be away? Are you not coming back? . Seems a but drastic for your son to be so disrupted by his Grandma in India. Are there no relatives in India who can help so you can come back in September?

EssexYumMum Tue 19-May-15 22:55:16

Are you leaving and not coming back? If so then controversial as it sounds you could leave without paying. What can they do??
If it's just temporary then can the child stay with relatives and carry on school?

EssexYumMum Tue 19-May-15 22:55:59

cross post, LOL!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now