Talk

Advanced search

Key Stage 1 SATS

(36 Posts)
BestOnlineCommentSite Thu 14-May-15 16:00:51

Please forgive me - I can't find the definitive info on Google and had v little info from school.

When are they?

Would you expect to know in advance how they were going to be administered? That is, at least a week before? Not a day before? Are they continually assessed?

Thank you

redskybynight Thu 14-May-15 16:15:20

There is no definite date - schools can administer them when they like. They are meant to be low key so I wouldn't expect the school to tell you in advance. As you say, the "levels" that your child will get at the end of the year are based on teacher assessment - the results of the tests simply inform those levels.

proudmama2772 Thu 14-May-15 16:43:35

Some schools deliberately did not tell the parents. They believed they would tell the kids and they didn't want them to know.

There usually is a 2 week window and it is usually in May.

mrz Thu 14-May-15 17:25:29

Key Stage 1 tests can be administered at any point over the year . Some schools use them early in the year, some around the time of the KS2 tests and all times between and after. Some do them over a week and others spread them out over a number of weeks/months. The results aren't reported and their only purpose is to support ongoing teacher assessment.
It's unlikely the school would publish the dates of these tests.
Of course that all changes next year!

Heels99 Thu 14-May-15 17:26:33

Ours are just about finished.

Heels99 Thu 14-May-15 17:27:25

And no, we were not given info from school or told when they were on.

icklekid Thu 14-May-15 17:27:54

Totally up to the school we usually do last week before half term of summer 1, the week after ks2 sats

BestOnlineCommentSite Thu 14-May-15 18:04:01

Thank you

elmwoo Thu 14-May-15 18:07:12

Ours hAve been going on this week, my ds2 has been coming out of school in s foul mood telling me he's had a rubbish day even though he was told he was going to have a fun week!!! We weren't told about them I only found out because I spoke to the teacher today ,

Pikkewyn Thu 14-May-15 18:09:30

Our are this week.

Hillfog Thu 14-May-15 18:12:35

DS had them this week, we did know in advance. He's happy as its meant they've had no homework/spellings/tables this week to do. The TA said the result would be on his report but no idea how that works, score/level etc.

enjoyingscience Thu 14-May-15 18:16:07

My DS is in a mixed Y1/Y2 class, and they'll be doing theirs some time in the next couple of weeks. The teacher hadn't totally decided when they would be, and isn't planning on telling parents (I only know because I run a science club with her).

CMP69 Thu 14-May-15 18:39:31

Ours were this week. We knew from the beginning of Y2 when they were and have had 3 parents evenings about them. Our school worries too much about pointless league tables doesn't do low key angry

Pikkewyn Thu 14-May-15 18:52:56

Ours are at the same time as yr 6, their teacher has told them that it is important they try their best but if they have a brain burp (wtf??) then not to worry as it isn't important because she knows they are all amazing and have so many talents that the tests won't see.

Tomorrow all the yr 6s and yr 2s have an afternoon of swimming and ice lollies to reward them all for their hard work.

CountryLovingGirl Thu 14-May-15 18:55:55

Ours start next week for my youngest, KS1. My eldest has just finished his KS2 SATs today.

Buttercupsandaisies Thu 14-May-15 19:52:55

Ours have sat the level2 papers this week and those sitting level 3 will do them next week. They've been practising them in school for weeks though! We were given dates in advance so no one requested leave during that time (our school is still authorising holidays).

Our school doesnt do low key at all but over 50% get level 5s in year 6 so all the prep must be doing something good!

elmwoo Thu 14-May-15 20:13:58

I didn't even know that there were level 3 papers

Wigeon Thu 14-May-15 20:22:54

There are level 3 papers? Does the school decide who sits what?

Heels99 Thu 14-May-15 20:25:28

Very one in my dds class sat the level 3 maths. Not sure about literacy.

Heels99 Thu 14-May-15 20:25:58

Every one

mrz Thu 14-May-15 20:31:37

Because the tests are meant to support teacher assessment the teacher should know the children's levels and use level 2 tests with any child working at level 2 and level 3 tests working at level 3.

littlejohnnydory Thu 14-May-15 20:36:32

At my dd's school they are this week along with the KS2 SATS. It's been on the school calendar since September and the children all know about "the big tests". It's interesting to know how other schools approach it differently as I'm not happy with the way this school emphasise the SATS and they very much teach to the test.

Wigeon Thu 14-May-15 20:58:14

Our school is v v low key about it - parents don't (officially) know when they are, children are not really told they are doing them. Which is fine with me.

They did say because I asked that you get told a sub level if the child is assessed as level 2, but if they are level 3, you don't get a sub level. They said this was because level 2 was the expected level, so they don't give sub levels higher than that. Which seems odd to me. Is that standard/ government guidelines, or just our school?

Buttercupsandaisies Thu 14-May-15 21:02:02

Ours don't give sub levels at level 3 either. Everyone sites the level 2. Those who score a high 2a on the level 2 paper, then sit the level 3 paper too the following week but not all achieve it.

Feenie Thu 14-May-15 21:06:48

Those who score a high 2a on the level 2 paper, then sit the level 3 paper too the following week but not all achieve it.

That's because the papers are not being used according the statutory regulations in this instance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now