Talk

Advanced search

In a pickle with ks2 SATS and ill child- advice needed by those in the know

(34 Posts)
IvyBean Sat 09-May-15 19:28:20

Dd is ill and starting to think may not be able to go in Mon. Thinking she'll need to be isolated on return to do it but is doing level 6s each afternoon and I'll be involved in the tests in the school I work in so it won't be possible.

So what do I do?

What would be best for her?Dose her up and get her to crawl in whatever or keep her off and I'm guessing she won't be able to do either at all. Do I need to declare the fact I'll have seen the papers even though obviously I wouldn't do anything?

Help,need to get a plan in place to avoid stress Mon morning.

TeaandCake91 Sat 09-May-15 19:31:28

Yikes that's tricky. If she isn't well she isn't well and that's more important than any sats paper. I'd let your own school know that you will not be able to be involved in the administration of the tests just in case.

AspieAndNT Sat 09-May-15 19:44:20

I certainly would not force my sick child in to take some pointless tests

MyCatHasStaff Sat 09-May-15 19:47:27

Have a look on here TAG page and if you are able to, contact the Head for advice before Monday. Being part of the team yourself does complicate things. Hope your DD feels better soon.

IvyBean Sat 09-May-15 19:47:39

Don't care re the actual tests but want to do what is best for her and preferably not piss off the school I've not long been working in.grin

IvyBean Sat 09-May-15 19:48:48

Looked on there,couldn't find anything hence turning to you lot and which head?

AmateurSeamstress Sat 09-May-15 19:50:56

If she is ill, who will look after her?

MyCatHasStaff Sat 09-May-15 19:51:57

Sorry, I thought you were in the same school. Yours if you have the kind of relationship where you are able to do that, I would assume you don't have out of hours contact details for your DD's Head.
I'll have another look on the site to see if I can find anything.

TeaandCake91 Sat 09-May-15 19:52:28

Could you email your daughters school to see what they advise? It may get picked up before Monday. If you worked at my school we'd arrange for someone else to cover the tests. It's a pain but can't be helped. I guess it depends on the school though

Charis1 Sat 09-May-15 19:53:37

if she's ill, she can't go in, why is it a big deal?

IvyBean Sat 09-May-15 19:57:43

Because normally she'd do it on her return but there will be limited time due to the PM tests and also in theory I could come home and share the contents of the test thus making her a cheat.You have to really do things by the book.Does it matter if you don't sit the tests?

MyCatHasStaff Sat 09-May-15 20:01:04

illness this talks about illness on the day, but obviously doesn't allow for you having seen the tests. I'll keep looking.

TeaandCake91 Sat 09-May-15 20:02:24

If she doesn't sit the tests I think her teacher assessment is the final grade but I don't know whether she could achieve level 6 on that basis

AspieAndNT Sat 09-May-15 23:27:23

The only person it matters to is the head because of tgethe school ratings. Secondary school will run their own tests to band them.

mrz Sun 10-May-15 07:54:41

Pupils with injuries who still took the test do not qualify for special consideration as alternative access arrangements are available.

Illness
Pupils who are ill on the day of a test are not expected to sit them. You should consider using a timetable variation if it is a minor illness and a pupil is not able to take the test later that day.

Timetable variations may allow a pupil to take a test up 5 school days after the published test date.

If a pupil doesn’t take a test because of illness, the pupil should be entered as absent on the attendance register

Some pupils may be able to take a test at a different time from the rest of the cohort, subject to strict criteria. Schools can use 2 types of timetable variation to change the 2015 test timetable (ODT, 50.4KB) . Both must be approved by the headteacherbefore submission to STA.

You can use a timetable variation to vary the test time:

to a different day, up to 5 school days after the day specified in the statutory timetable
between 7:00am and 7:00pm on the day of a test, so that an individual pupil can take a test on the scheduled date, but separately from the rest of the cohort
Under no circumstances may a test be taken before the day specified in the statutory timetable.

IvyBean Sun 10-May-15 08:19:09

But what about me having seen the paper,is that just not an issue ie am I worrying over nothing?

If needs be do I just keep her off,go to work and let her school sort it at a later date?

mrz Sun 10-May-15 08:26:09

The school may decide it would be better if you weren't involved in the tests.

CharlesRyder Sun 10-May-15 08:36:47

I think I would phone the DDs Head as soon as you know she will be in school, tell him/her the whole situation and let them deal with it.

You can't not do your job (IMO). It may be that the Head of DDs school will phone the Head of your school to discuss.

Leave it to them though rather than trying to come up with a plan yourself.

IvyBean Sun 10-May-15 08:56:19

Oo oo no turning into a big thing which I'm trying to avoid.Not been in new job long and want to support the children I've been working with.Has all been planned etc.

Dc is full of snot,streaming nose and sore throat the same not worse.Tlc today so hoping I can send her in dosed up with Calpol.Won't really matter if she under performs will it,the level 6 reading will surely be a slight long shot anyway.

What do you think?Unless on deaths door shall I just send her?

Inthepastlife34 Sun 10-May-15 09:06:37

My dad is sitting the level 6's too, although I know it's not that important ( it's for the schools benefit ) I know she would be very upset if she could not sit them, I would probably dose her up with calpol and take her in as long as that's what she wanted to do.

Did did ask her teacher last week 'what happens if I'm ill?' And was told that she would be accessed on the work she has done in class ind in the practice papers ( she has been given a average mark of 5a's in all areas so this would be her mark ).

I think all you can do is make sure she has plenty of rest today, keep giving her medicine, early night and then see how she is in the morning, if she really is too poorly to go then keep her home.

Inthepastlife34 Sun 10-May-15 09:08:11

'Dd' not 'dad'

Brightbluebells Sun 10-May-15 09:25:14

I am a primary headteacher and if I was your child's head, I would want you to keep your daughter at home. The test can be done later in the week if she is well enough and, if not, it's not the end of the world. If she is at level 6, she will be teacher assessed at that level. Would I be a little worried about my overall data? Yes, I would a little but at the same time my overwhelming belief is that sick children should be at home and that by the time she is 20, no one is ever going to say to her: what did you get in your KS2 SATs? They are just not that important.

eddiemairswife Sun 10-May-15 10:08:50

Not quite sure what your problem is. Is it that you'll have to stay at home to look after her, or that having seen the papers people might suspect you of telling her the answers if she sits the papers at a later date? Surely that is where your professionalism comes in.

twocutedarlings Sun 10-May-15 10:25:12

I wouldn't send her if she is ill, its not just unfair on her, its not fair to pass on germs to the other kids either (same as any other time your DC is ill imo)

My daughter just did the standard papers last year, she has ASD and would not have coped with the extra stress of doing the 6 papers in the afternoon.

She is still in the top groups in her secondary school and is on level 7a in maths smile

IvyBean Sun 10-May-15 13:19:48

No won't need to stay home as have somebody to look after her.

Was worried re my having seen the paper before she'd sit it at a later date.Obviously it's neither here nor there to me ie I wouldn't act on it but wasn't sure if it needed to be dealt with.Seems I'm worrying over nothing and it's a non issue which is good.smile

She's rallying now,no temp and feels a lot better so fingers crossed she'll go in anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now