Am I the only one who's already started on the school uniform?

(19 Posts)
Livjames1 Tue 05-May-15 12:30:41

Hello, I have three kids, the youngest of which starts reception this September. Yesterday I visited our local school supplier and I've officially made a start on their uniforms. Mainly just for ds who needs everything from scratch really, ie book bag, pe bag, and a couple of polo shirts, well that's what I've got so far. My friends think I'm crazy for getting things so early and even for thinking that far in advance but I have three to kit out this year instead of the usual two, so it's going to be rather expensive so for once I'm getting organised lol, so has anyone else started or is it only me lol.

noramum Tue 05-May-15 12:40:04

I started fairly early as DD had a huge growth spur in April and even the 4-5 uniform was huge on her. So I was safe for September.

Shoes were late, I think we bought in July but that was because she can't wear most high street brands and I didn't want to be cut short and being told everything is sold out in August.

But - DD is now in Y3 and I hardly buy any uniform in Summer. I buy when she grows and normally have at least one set a size up at home anyway. No mad rush ordering and returning or dragging DD to the store.

Only stationary etc is bought in Summer.

TeenAndTween Tue 05-May-15 12:51:00

OP- Do you not hand down?

redskybynight Tue 05-May-15 12:51:47

Presumably your older 2 only need bits and bobs though (and you may have some hand-me-downs for the youngest)?

DD is going into Y5 - I suspect she will need a new cardigan as current on is on its last legs, but will wait till the shops have their pre-summer-holiday uniform sales! Everything else fits her now, so will wait and see if anything gets outgrown.

DS is starting at secondary so does need new everything, but I daren't buy anything now as I suspect he will grow (and in the case of trousers hope he does as he is between sizes!)

Mopmay Tue 05-May-15 13:17:57

I'd only buy now if in the sales and a bargain. Got caught out once by buying trousers then DD shooting up.

catkind Tue 05-May-15 13:21:46

I'd hang on a month or so at least - there are usually special offers when they start stocking for September. We had to get a few bits recently as DS had worn through his and struggled to find them in stock.

openthecurtains Tue 05-May-15 13:31:52

I buy almost everything in the PTA second hand sale so I buy as I see it and am usually about a year ahead. Saves me a lot of money on an expensive, logoed uniform. I wouldn't buy in advance for full price stuff though.

AugustRose Tue 05-May-15 13:52:20

I have started for DS2 who starts in September, Aldi had polo shirts down to 75p for 2 at our local shop so bought 2 packs. I have also ordered a school jumper (have 2 already from his sister) and book bag from school. I will leave shoes until August but have just bought DD2 a new pinafore, she has mostly what she needs.

I like to buy early if I can as DD1 is going to need most of her secondary uniform again! She is going into Year 9 and has got two years out of her blazer and sports kit so I can't really complain. They have just changed the sports kit so I can't get any from the school second hand shop this time either sad

morethanpotatoprints Tue 05-May-15 13:54:57

I have started getting dds for secondary, but pretty similar to a primary uniform.
I'm finding it hard though as some items aren't about yet.
woolly tights are hard to find.
we haven't been given a full list yet, so this is also holding me back with some items.
I suppose it depends on the uniform for e,g dd needs white shirts/ blouses and we have found no problem with these.

meglet Tue 05-May-15 13:55:22

I've pretty much finished kitting the dc's out Inn the next sizes up. had a mammoth 4 hour labelling session the other week.

butterflyballs Tue 05-May-15 14:01:29

I'm waiting to hear if dd has got a place at middle school so holding off for now. But as soon as I find out and if she has, I'll have to start buying jumpers etc. I always leave trousers and shoes to as late as possible, she seems to shoot up over the summer holidays.

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Tue 05-May-15 14:03:37

no hand me downs here. ds's went to different primary schools anyway, but things like plain polo shirts were very washed out, school logo sweatshirts were falling apart or too washed out. ds2 and dd went to the same primary but again stuff was the wrong size and obviously boys trousers and not skirts/pinafores.

I do buy bits an pieces now, like school uniform was on a 3 for 2 when I brought a new pack of socks, so I knew dd would need knee highs/tights for winter so got those at he same time instead of just one pack of ankle socks.

I seem to buy uniform all year round anyway. the dc are always growing out of it, or ds splitting his trousers on his bike seat, dd growing and skirts too short again etc.

Livjames1 Tue 05-May-15 14:29:20

Ah I might hold off a bit then as I suppose they might have a growth spurt. I have no hand me downs unfortunately as eldest ds is in secondary school, ds2 is in primary and my youngest is a girl so this time round i'll be buying little skirts tight and frilly socks lol.

MiaowTheCat Tue 05-May-15 15:44:14

I've started for preschool "uniform" (it's fairly flexible - just a certain colour top really but I tend to buy the school uniform range jersey trousers as well as they're nice and soft and easy to get up and down for the toilet for DD2 who starts there in September... it's just a slightly obscure polo shirt colour compared to the primaries around here so it's one I tend to have to stock up on when I'm in the next town across and when the shops have stocks of the coloured polos in (tends to just drop down to white only by September around here). Other than that because of handing down stuff and having two at the same preschool for next year I only need to get some more sweatshirts since DD1's upped her hours there and will go through more uniform and DD2 could get filthy dirty in an empty room so won't get more than a day out of anything before washing!

MiaowTheCat Tue 05-May-15 15:45:47

Haven't hit the boredom threshold required yet to be sewing in name tapes though - that will be when real work procrastination kicks in and I get less motivated as time goes on - so start of year stuff gets a beautiful embroidered tape sewn in... mid-year purchases may get to see a sharpie and by the end of the year it's just a biro on the label job!

DuelingFanjo Tue 05-May-15 15:47:40

Al I have is some white Polo shirts because although I have accepted a place there's a new school opening and I am considering applying.

manchestermummy Tue 05-May-15 16:07:46

I might pick up the bits that we can't recycle from dd1 late June-ish but beyond that it's a summer holiday job. Her bookbag I will probably get when we have our new parents' meeting a few weeks. Shoes I always do no earlier than two weeks before.

Help me too: dd1 had to have new school shoes two weeks ago angry after her previous pair fell apart. I wouldn't have minded so much if they weren't exactly the same size.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 05-May-15 16:15:33

Going on to secondary and uniform is available second hand though shop is only open when there is a blue moon on the second Sunday of the month.
Got the chance at the end of last term to go in entire senior uniform bought second hand at around third of price. School has standard 20" skirt length so no worries there no blazer only jumpers.

malefridgeblindness Tue 05-May-15 18:51:40

I've got a couple of summer dresses, as they tend to be harder to get hold of once term ends (the shops are full of winter uniform) and I know that lots of the children like to go back wearing summer stuff if it's a warm September. We do hand-me-downs, but the boys didn't bother with dresses when they were reception age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now