School hoodies from September

(18 Posts)
mileslewis Fri 01-May-15 19:43:06

My DC's school is introducing dark blue zip up school hoodies from September, alongside the current v neck jumpers. Has anyone else heard of school hoodies? I have no objection to it but it's a totally new idea to me.

Also would they go better with polo shirt or shirt and tie as both are optional?

mrz Fri 01-May-15 20:14:32

A local school adopted them a couple of years ago but have since reverted to school jumpers

TheTroubleWithAngels Fri 01-May-15 20:20:54

It's absolutely roasting in most schools, a hoody would surely be too warm?

Shirt, tie and hoody would look silly IMO.

Mopmay Sat 02-May-15 09:47:37

We have choice of cardi, round neck jumper, fleece or any same colour supermarket variety. Almost all wear polos. Is it optional? Poss too hot most of the year

Namelesswonder Sat 02-May-15 09:49:48

We have choice of navy fleece round neck jumper or navy fleece hoody jumper, works well, most wear with polo shirts, easy to wash, quick to dry.

noramum Sat 02-May-15 10:14:52

Not sure it would look decent with a shirt and tie or even a polo shirt and tie.

For a girl it would most likely look ridiculous if she doesn't wear trousers.

DD has a hoody in school colours for outside PE as they go out all year long unless it is raining or there is ice on the ground. But nobody wears it inside.

The school has fleeces and most children have one for chilly but dry days to wear outside but they would be roasting indoors.

Millymollymama Sat 02-May-15 16:07:11

Sport attire where mine went to school. Would not want mine at a school where this was every day uniform. It's just too casual.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 02-May-15 16:37:51

Pullover hoodies for PE and outdoor Ed as they are easy to wash.
Certain colour hoodies included in the cost of residential trips to make children easy to identify.

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 02-May-15 16:42:11

They had hoodies in p7 here so just the eldest year gets to wear them.
Dd loved hers and still wears it around the house.

mileslewis Sat 02-May-15 16:48:28

On the whole, I think hoodies will be too casual for school wear, although they were very popular on Waterloo Road!

ltk Sat 02-May-15 16:56:48

Our school has hoodies as an option and they are very popular, as is the fleece zip up jacket option. Worn over a polo with trousers or skirt. Dd2 pairs hers with a pleated skirt, leggings and boots and somehow pulls off a skater girl chic. I think DC should be comfy at school so I prefer a very casual uniform at primary. i would hate it if they had a tie.

derektheladyhamster Sat 02-May-15 17:07:21

All the boys wore a blue hoodie at primary school. But they were zip up ones so basically a trendy cardigan. School insisted on school colours but no particular style of jumper

hiccupgirl Sat 02-May-15 18:30:16

I think it sounds like a great idea but I think primary uniforms are far too formal, especially shirts and ties for reception and KS1.

I think a hoody would look good with a polo shirt and would be fine with a skirt or pinafore for girls. I know my DS would love a hoody at school as he loves wearing them at home.

BikeRunSki Sat 02-May-15 20:12:29

A few years ago I judged Yorkshire-wide school Knex competition and there was a school from Sheffield whose uniform was hoodies and combsts.

UniS Sat 02-May-15 20:40:49

DS wears a navy blue zip up hoodie as a jumper at s hook. Its great, allows him to wear it done up when its cold and undone when he is warmer. He wears the good up to keep his head warm on the way to school in winter. No more lost hats.
School are quite relaxed about uniform, the children can wear school logo OR plain white / pale blue polo or shirt/ blouse. Navy ,with or with out logo , jumper/cardi/ hoodie/fleece/tanktop. Grey or black or navy trews/skirt/ shorts/ pinafore. Plain sober or white socks or tights. Shoes are meant to be plain shies, but no one complains if they wear boots or sandals in appropriate weather.

DamsonInDistress Sun 03-May-15 09:41:32

I'd have thought the choking / strangulation risk from kids hanging on to and pulling on each others hoods during playtimes would be far too high for the schools comfort given how risk averse done of them seem to be! No different from a coat of course but I can imagine some of the conversations.

Personally I'd hate it, far too casual for proper uniform for me, fine for sports teams though.

Mopmay Sun 03-May-15 10:04:14

UniS uniform sounds ace. I want hoodies now !!! Luckily our school is relaxed too - they are children so don't need to de dressed in stuffy uniforms

mileslewis Sun 10-May-15 02:19:27

The school has said the new hoodies idea has been well received by parents and is going ahead. Polo shirts will only be in summer term only so will be worn with shirt and tie most of the year, with the tie optional in summer.

An open neck shirt will look better than with a tie as the hoody will look quite casual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now