Talk

Advanced search

Deferring a reception place- deadline?

(17 Posts)
tethersend Thu 30-Apr-15 21:24:39

Am looking for some advice... A friend is unsure whether or not to defer her child's reception place so she starts in January 2016 instead of September 2016 (her birthday is in March)- however, her LEA specifies that all requests for deferral must be made by a given date, which is very soon.

Does anyone know where she stands if she applies for a deferral and then changes her mind? Or if she does not apply for a deferral and then decides that her son is not ready for full time school in September after all? Can the LEA refuse a request to defer the place because the deadline for deferral requests was not met?

Mopmay Thu 30-Apr-15 21:42:27

Better to ask to defer then start earl. A match child should be fine in Sept. The individual school is the place to ask

tethersend Thu 30-Apr-15 21:50:32

That's my thinking... But the school seem to be implying that if a deferral request is made, then the child cannot start in September, even if the parent changes their mind.

I am doubtful that they could refuse to admit a child when they have a place being held for them until the following term, but the school seem to be under the impression that they can... Surely this can't be the case?

Mopmay Thu 30-Apr-15 22:21:30

I can't see why a school wouldn't take them early - much easier for them!!! They can get the child fitting in and up to speed quicker ?!?

FireCanal Thu 30-Apr-15 22:25:17

Is it to do with funding? There's presumably a deadline for sorting out the money and if they are not expecting him till Jan he might not be funded before that.

tiggytape Thu 30-Apr-15 22:28:59

I suppose they may ask because, if there are 2 classes, they want to split the late starters between them evenly. They probably don't want one class of 30 and one class of 20 in September if the few who defer are mainly in one class.

Otherwise I cannot see as they could do much about it because it isn't actually a request at all. Parents have an absolute right to insist on a later start date as long as they take up the place before the end of reception or the term after the child turns 5 (whichever is sooner) so imposing such immediate limits on this is a bit pointless since the school and LA cannot refuse either way (they cannot force a summer baby to defer until Easter. They cannot force a March baby to start in Sept).

Obviously best not to be confrontational just to make a point but if your friend is genuinely unsure, she could inform them of the intention to defer by their deadline with a note to say she may revise this decision in the summer and if so will let the school know straight away.

tethersend Thu 30-Apr-15 23:14:19

Thanks all. I would love to know if the LEA has any power to compel a parent to start their child at school in September if they submit a deferral request after the deadline. Like pps, I can't see what they'd be able to do about it.

prh47bridge Thu 30-Apr-15 23:25:48

There is nothing in the Admissions Code to suggest that LAs can set a deadline. If the parents submit a deferral request after the deadline the only thing they could try to do is withdraw the place but that would seem to be contrary to the Admissions Code. Someone will need to take this to the Schools Adjudicator for certainty but my take is that the deadline is unenforceable.

MrsKCastle Fri 01-May-15 07:25:58

I don't understand why they would be asking about the Sep 2016 entry now- the DD must have just turned 3 and they want to know if she'll be ready for school in 16 months? How could a parent possibly be sure this early on? Is it possible that the LA actually want to know about deferrals this year? Your friend won't even know the school for another year...

prh47bridge Fri 01-May-15 07:50:57

Looking at the OP I think that is a typo. The OP's friend wants to defer to January 2016 so her child must be due to start in September 2015.

tethersend Fri 01-May-15 08:51:31

Yes, sorry- it should say Sept 2015. I think I need more sleep grin

Thank you prh, that's really useful. I am assuming that the deadline is just an arbitrary one, is unenforceable, and has been set in an attempt to make the organisation of admissions easier.

In your opinion, if the parent were to accept the place to start in September and then decide in August to defer until January, the LEA could not withdraw the offer of a place without breaching the Admissions code? I can't find anything in the code which refers to deadlines.

tethersend Fri 01-May-15 08:52:56

I do need more sleep. You've already answered my question grin

admission Fri 01-May-15 18:16:21

There is no deadline for deferring a child starting at school. For September 2015 entry the relevant paragraph is 2.16 if the admission code and it simply is around the fact that admission authorities must provide the place in September but that parents can request that the date their child is admitted to school is deferred until later in the academic year. Whilst there is no date specified it does make sense that there are only limited dates like January 1st when the child can start from an organisational point of view.

Livjames1 Fri 01-May-15 18:24:46

Seriously I don't understand all this parents rights rubbish about deferring their child's place! IMO If you want your child to start school then they should start at the time they're supposed to ie the September of the year they turn 4. I know plenty of August born children, including myself who have done well in school and have gone on to be successful in their adult lives, to me it's just mums playing the martyr, and saying oh look at me, I'm willing to have my "baby" at home that bit longer, so I must be super mum! It's all a load of crap. If you don't want to comply with the school/council/government or whatever in agreeing to send your child to school at the appropriate time then allow that place to go to another child, and send your kids bloody private!

tiggytape Fri 01-May-15 18:34:54

Maybe you're thinking of the campaign to start summer born children in reception at age 5 Liv?

That's not what's being discussed here. To defer in the sense being talked about here means for a child (of any birth month - not just August babies) to choose to join reception class one or two terms later than the others.

It doesn't involve skipping a year or going back a year or starting reception at just turned 5 instead of just turned 4.
It's no big deal. Some children do half days for a while. Some start fulltime in Sept. Some start fulltime after Christmas.

tiggytape Fri 01-May-15 18:36:02

(well they can start at just turned 5 is a March baby starts after Easter but then they'd only get 1 term in Reception before moving up to Year 1). It isn't about delaying by a whole year is what I meant.

tethersend Fri 01-May-15 18:43:31

Sometimes it's mums (or dads) playing the martyr.

Sometimes the child has additional needs.

Sometimes there are strong social reasons such as an adoption having recently taken place, and the child needs to attach to adoptive parents before starting school.

Sometimes it's just what the parents want to do.

But thanks for your thoughts, Liv.

Thanks also admission and tiggy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now