Talk

Advanced search

Removing child from private education

(13 Posts)
fedupnorthernmum Thu 30-Apr-15 12:57:07

My dd was born prematurely and had major health issues so when it was time for her to go to school grandparents helped with fees and she went private. She is now fine but the family business went bust last night so I will have to send her to a state school. Has anyone had a similar situation and how did your child cope?

Flower1984 Thu 30-Apr-15 13:27:45

Have you spoken with the head some schools can help out with situations like this...

MarvellousMarbles Thu 30-Apr-15 13:31:30

Be aware that you won't be able to remove her instantly without paying at least a term's fees (exact time period depends on the contract you signed with them).

Sorry about your family's business, that must be very hard. You will need to look into what places are available at what schools - I think it will depend a lot on what the school is like, and what your child is like.

But as an FYI, I changed schools a few times as a child, between state and private, and was fine

threegoingonthirty Thu 30-Apr-15 14:33:20

She will be fine - depending on her age you may or may not want to tell her the reason, make sure you "big up" the new school.

But if it's likely to be a short term problem, and depending on the age and how well she is doing at school, the school may be able to help. I'd suggest making an appointment with the head or Bursar. At least you might be able to get the notice fee waived/reduced if they can see that it is a genuine change of circumstance.

Millymollymama Thu 30-Apr-15 17:29:36

We moved from a private school to state at year 2. Out of choice. DD was absolutely fine. Just don't make a big fuss. You can keep in touch with friends. How old is your DD now? It is easier to move when they are younger.

ConnieBaby Thu 30-Apr-15 17:31:44

I'm sure she'll be fine. Just be warned, if we were to give notice now then we'd be paying fees until Christmas as need to give a full terms notice.

chocolateyay Thu 30-Apr-15 17:34:45

Speak to the bursar and see if you have any wiggle room. I'm sure she will be fine if you are cool with the change.

Sorry about the business.

fedupnorthernmum Thu 30-Apr-15 20:09:17

Thanks guys, its not a temporary thing so no point talking to the school , but al least I feel reassured that she will be OK.

ChocolateWombat Thu 30-Apr-15 20:59:41

I'd still speak to the school and explain the financial situation. They might reduce what you owe them or at least let you spread it over a longer period.

PoshPenny Thu 30-Apr-15 21:09:40

Not a nice thing to happen to you all. Had you paid this terms school fees in which case you're ok until the end of this term? I would agree about bigging up the new school.

Wantsunshine Thu 30-Apr-15 21:13:42

I moved from private to state when I was in primary. It was great, I didn't have to work hard as I had covered most of the stuff in previous years so could concentrate on making friends without getting behind.

DazR Thu 30-Apr-15 21:13:42

We did this and daughter was absolutely fine. Only issue was that once we found a primary school we wanted with a space we had to move her almost immediately or she would have lost the space....

threegoingonthirty Thu 30-Apr-15 22:23:07

Definitely still talk to the school, they might reduce/waive the notice period.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now