Waiting and wondering(40 Posts)
This is a thread for people who are waiting on waiting lists for preferred schools.
We moved areas after the deadline so ended up as late applicants. DD has started at nursery at our first choice school (0.1 mile away). Due to late application we didn't get in but are 1st on the list. We have a place at 3rd choice school which is ok but really want DD to stay where she is. Not planning on appealing as think it wouldn't work.
Would anyone would like to join me in waiting list waiting?
Yes, I'll join!! I'm going mad in my own, I need to try and be patient. DD missed out on our first preference by 1 place and 0.01 miles. She didn't get offered any of our top 3 choices but was allocated a school about 15 minutes away.
I don't understand it really as the school she has been offered only take 22 admissions and its a faith school but somehow they have offered her a place?!
I'm on a waiting list too but I'm also appealing. Admittedly my grounds for appeal aren't particularly strong but I have nothing to lose by doing it. And I'll always think "What if" unless I do it.
We're on a waiting list for our one and only preference. It's 0.4 miles away from us, DS attends the nursery there and it's the only school in our village. All the other schools are at least 2 miles away. We've been allocated a school 2.6 miles away, which will mean walking, a train, then another walk. Repeat 4 times a day.
I've no idea what position I'm in on the list. By the sounds of the mums at the gates this morning, hardly anyone got in. The school is an academy so it deals with its own allocation info and they told me they should have it all available later today.
Just found out I'm number 7, so I'm not holding out much hope.
Being patient is really hard and the constant what if. Our 1st choice is only a 30 intake and keep imagining circumstances where someone turns down a place.
We're mid move and didn't get into the would be catchment school - on the waiting list and appealing too though - like mrsgrimes says - nothing to lose by it.
Last year there were only 7 appeals in the borough so I hope it's a small number this year too. Otherwise it's a car journey x4 as not a safe walking route plus too far - I'd be walking all day!
Just rang admissions to find out how they would tell me if we did get offered a place. Apparently they would phone us if a place came up. Also found out we are 4th on list for our second choice, which is better than I thought. That is another PAN if 30 though so 1st choice school is more likely.
Good luck everyone
Dd is on the waiting list for our first choice but is somehow way down the list at number 16 I'm no expert but am assuming that's a bit far down to be in with a realistic chance? Anyone got any positive experiences?
Anyone had any good news yet? Any movement on the waiting lists?
For those despairing, I got a place at our 1st choice from the waiting-list despite being no.35 on the waiting list.
It was in Central London, in an area with high mobility, the first year of an expanded 60 intake and all the other schools nearby were great and we did have to start her at another school and move 4 weeks into the Autumn term.
Even so, we were so far down the waiting list I'd given up hope!
2 kids didn't turn up, 2 left and pretty much everyone above us on the list didn't want to move anymore. We did find out on the Wednesday night and she had to be there on Monday morning with all the forms signed on the Friday.
Do remember that everyone is on the waiting list for every school that was above their allocated preference. So, out of 10 on a waiting-list, there may well be a fair few who are holding out for another school.
The wait is hell and a total PITA when it comes to uniform. We got really screwed as every school in the borough appears to have grey pinafores, but this one has navy. Could I get navy pinafores in October? Not a snowflakes chance!
We can't call the council till the 1st about waiting lists.
Very frustrating we got our last choice and I'm desperate for any other place
I will join you ladies. We missed out on our first choice by 0.1 of a mile And are second on the waiting list for then out of 7 that were refused. Last year the LA asked the school to take another ten and they did. They were hoping for the same this year but instead have 7 very disappointed sets of parents and zero growth.
We are appealing - as you said we have nothing to lose...
We got our 2nd choice school which after applications closed was rated inadequate in every single area, changed head and changed some staff... so we feel like it's not the school we applied for.
We have also put our toddler on the waiting list for the preschool attached to our first choice school so feel like there are a lot of balls being juggled...
I also cant imagine a scenario where anyone would decline/mmove or whatever but have to remind myself it's 5 months away and a lot can still happen.
I had an email today from the LA to say we are confirmed as on the waiting list, and they have forwarded my request to appeal to the school as they deal with each one individually themselves. I do feel bad that we are giving ourselves a bad name or something before we even start by creating more work through an appeal for them, but hey ho.
Wow elf that is really encouraging, thank you.
Good luck noyoucant, puremorning and mrsH hopefully you'll all be back here with good news soon.
The waiting is the worst thing. We have been told that we are second on the waiting list for a school where both my older daughters go but where my youngest failed to get a place. Still not holding out much hope though as although it's a PAN of 60 , it's such a popular school. Will keep her at nursery and then home school until a place comes up!
I'm getting really impatient waiting for the end of the week
Hope the rest of you are feeling positive and hoping for good news for all of us. Good luck.
It's frustrating, my mobile rang yesterday with a local number I didn't recognise and I got all excited for a second. Turned out to be the garage trying to arrange an overpriced service
On the waiting list as well, my daughter is the only one out of her school nursery not to get a place. We are 0.8 miles away and 2nd on the list.
I am even dreaming about it now, so upset.
We're number 5 now. But my friend who is far behind on the list hasn't moved at all. So I'm not sure if that means two people in front of me have come off the list then two new people have joined the list inbetween me and my friend. I'm not sure how else I could move but she hasn't.
Found out today that DS' 3 friends at nursery who all play together everyday are going into the school attached (the one we're on the waiting list for) so that's a shame. But at least my friend's child has been allocated the same school as DS so he'll know one person.
DS is completely oblivious to it all which is the best way to be. We're going to look round his allocated school this week and he's excited to see it.
I was advised to call today to see where we are on the list and can't get through I suppose everyone is doing the same as me
Has anyone had any good news? Fingers crossed for you all.
Hi everyone how do you find out where you are on the list? Our LA reallocates on June 16th so I don't know if they will tell us anything before then. We got our third choice which is fine but in a bit of a dodgy area and 2.2 miles away
I called LEA and they gave me our waiting list position, give them a call and see if they'll tell you before June. I couldn't wait that long! Good luck
I rung and they said they won't give out any info till Tuesday now
Anyone have any news?
DD us now number 10 on the waiting list, so not as much movement as we had hoped for but better than 16th
Hoping for some more movement between now and September.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.