Talk

Advanced search

TOTP equivalent?

(7 Posts)
NumptyNu Fri 13-Feb-15 18:42:35

What's the equivalent to TOTP these days? Looking for a popular music programme that's suitable for primary age kids (so raunchy-video free!)

Quangle Fri 13-Feb-15 21:46:44

bloody good question OP. They never should have got rid of it - I'd still watch it. In fact I watch the annual New Year one and it's the only time I get to hear what's been in the charts all year. I think there should be an MN campaign to bring it back. It had its dodgy moments (Jimmy Savile, obvs) but I wouldn't let my kids watch one minute of MTV, it's all so vile, so there's definitely a gap been left by its absence.

Not tv but DD likes to listen to Fun Kids on digital radio. It's quite irritating but I'm a huge music fan so happy for her to be finding her own way to music.

NumptyNu Fri 13-Feb-15 22:53:44

Glad you like the question....

Such a shame that it was canned. It played a vital part in my own childhood, and exposed me to all sorts of music, I just loved TOTP, as well as Top 40 on a Sunday night.

If we can't find the answer, I suggest we lead a rebirth show?

Quangle Sat 14-Feb-15 10:51:38

I would love that. I'll be Peter Powell and you can be Bruno Brookes. grin

PastSellByDate Sat 14-Feb-15 13:21:28

Not sure if this is much of a solution....

CBBC Friday download: www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/shows/fridaydownload

BBC did a lovely programme called 10 pieces - although this is classical. I know DD2's music group is learning one of the pieces for their concert - and that this is a general challenge:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01vs08w

I will add that for DD1 (not terribly musical) the real pleasure of the programme was that Dick & Dom and Claudia Winkleman (from Strictly - which DD1 adores) were hosting some of the pieces.

HTH

dontknowwhat2callmyself Sat 14-Feb-15 17:32:53

Was thinking the same myself as I loved Totp and Top 40 especially when they announced what was no 1 each week! dd is 8yrs and apart from 1D I'm a bit clueless about pop music.

NumptyNu Sun 15-Feb-15 08:10:29

Let's do it Quangle! Would you be up for a geriatric mummy version of Legs & Co too??? I'm sure we could give Miley Cyrus a run for her money. Lol.

Thanks for those suggestions guys, I'll take a look. There was nothing like tuning in on a Thursday night at 7.30pm though, was there. We still listen to the top 40 on a Sunday. At least that's still going.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: