Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

would you say something?

(7 Posts)
yippeekiyay2 Fri 13-Feb-15 17:36:26

General query really - just been to see dd (y1) in year group assembly. most of the children, as there were about 60 of them, had one line each and got to show some artwork, dance moves etc. - usual stuff...BUT... there was a part in it where they were telling a story and, rather than giving out chunks of the story to a number of children, which would be the usual thing to do, they decided to only give the whole story to 2 children - the story went on for about 1 third of the total assembly time, and was just these two children reading the story off the screen - no other children involved doing drama/actions etc. either.
I actually feel like this was really unfair favouring of the two children (both boys also) and can't understand the thinking behind it. I'm not actually suggesting it should have been my dd reading, but I know that a large number of the group as in any school, would have been more than capable of reading aloud a small part of the story. I was a primary teacher myself and did a number of both class and whole year group assemblies over the years, and really feel like this was done in a totally unfair way. The thing is, I don't know how to put my views across without them just thinking I'm annoyed through wanting my dd to do it, and that is honestly not the case.
Would you say something or just chalk it up to it's done now and forget about it?

Ferguson Fri 13-Feb-15 19:15:21

As a teacher, you will know some things get done - or not done - for a variety of reasons, and obviously schools and teachers will vary as to how they organise things, and which children they can rely on to 'perform'.

It does sound rather boring, if there was really nothing else happening other than text being read by two boys. For gender equality, it should at least have been a boy and a girl!

Maybe the person trying to organise the event just wasn't up to the job, or was a novice at such things. I was a TA in an infant school, and used to coach Yr1 or Yr2 children to play percussion to accompany the Christmas production every year for ten years; it was usually the kids who weren't able to take acting roles that I worked with, but I was a semi-pro drummer for forty years, so we did achieve quite a good standard, the children certainly enjoyed it, and I tried to apportion instruments as fairly as I could!

I guess casually enquire why it was done in this way, if you know some of the staff well enough to mention it.

Pancakeflipper Fri 13-Feb-15 19:18:45

I wouldn't say anything this time. I might if it happened at the next special assembly.

cansu Sat 14-Feb-15 07:50:34

Maybe they wrote the story. maybe they were the strongest readers. It really isn't worth getting bothered about.

Iggly Sat 14-Feb-15 07:52:40

I know what you mean. If anything it keeps the rest of the class occupied!

yippeekiyay2 Sat 14-Feb-15 12:39:13

Thx for the replies. I am aware that there are a number of possible reasons for most decisions, but I honestly can't think of a plausible one this time! cansu they didn't write the story, not to give too much away but it is a story about a celebration, as in how it began etc. and there was no mention of the children writing the story. Plus it was one long story shared by two readers. With their backs to everyone so they could read the screen. And also I think it is worth bothering about, because one the face of it, it is favouritism of 2 out of 60 children - I feel like it would be good to know the reason why?

CharlesRyder Sat 14-Feb-15 12:57:08

Sounds like a rubbish assembly. Maybe they just decided assemblies are not as important as learning times tables not worth putting hours into just after the Christmas shows/ carol concerts etc so they did something easy to pull off?

I really wouldn't bother about it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: