Advanced search

Educational websites/apps for a 5 year old to learn from?

(3 Posts)
frozen1234 Thu 12-Feb-15 21:54:46

Does anyone have any recommendations of any android apps or websites where I and my son can sit and use to help him. I don't as a rule allow him on the tablet we have, but I thought if I could sit with him we could learn together, well him!! I have been searching for Maths apps, but I cant really find anything any good.

He is 5 and in reception class.

Thanks for any help or a point in the right direction..

holeinmyheart Thu 12-Feb-15 23:11:59 is the maths learning website sponsored by Bill Gates and is absolutely free.
Also 'Maths is fun' . It is not free but it can be used roughly for half an hour a day before it says , pay up. It also shows you the whole years work that a five year old might be expected to cover in a UK school. This is useful.
It has Scratchpads and if you set yourself up as your child's coach it sends you emails regarding their progress. So does Khanacademy. Khan also has videos on every Maths topic.
I think it is brilliant. It is American so the money problems all involve dollars.
IXL and 'Maths is fun' are English. They have levels and badges to obtain.

Ferguson Fri 13-Feb-15 19:22:47

Use 'tech' if you want/need to, but also I would consider my standard Numeracy information (which does end with two excellent sites):

Practical things are best for grasping number concepts - bricks, Lego, beads, counters, money, shapes, weights, measuring, cooking.

Do adding, taking away, multiplication (repeated addition), division (sharing), using REAL OBJECTS as just 'numbers' can be too abstract for some children.

Number Bonds of Ten forms the basis of much maths, so try to learn them. Using Lego or something similar, use a LOT of bricks (of just TWO colours, if you have enough) lay them out so the pattern can be seen of one colour INCREASING while the other colour DECREASES. Lay them down, or build up like steps.

ten of one colour none of other
nine of one colour one of other
eight of one colour two of other
seven of one colour three of other

then of course, the sides are equal at 5 and 5; after which the colours 'swap over' as to increasing/decreasing.

To learn TABLES, do them in groups that have a relationship, thus:

x2, x4, x8

x3, x6, x12

5 and 10 are easy

7 and 9 are rather harder.

Starting with TWO times TABLE, I always say: "Imagine the class is lining up in pairs; each child will have a partner, if there is an EVEN number in the class. If one child is left without a partner, then the number is ODD, because an odd one is left out."

Use Lego bricks again, lay them out in a column of 2 wide to learn 2x table. Go half way down the column, and move half the bricks up, so that now the column is 4 bricks wide. That gives the start of 4x table.

Then do similar things with 3x and 6x.

With 5x, try and count in 'fives', and notice the relationship with 'ten' - they will alternate, ending in 5 then 10.

It is important to try and UNDERSTAND the relationships between numbers, and not just learn them 'by rote'.

An inexpensive solar powered calculator (no battery to run out!) can help learn tables by 'repeated addition'. So: enter 2+2 and press = to give 4. KEEP PRESSING = and it should add on 2 each time, giving 2 times table.

There are good web sites, which can be fun to use :

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now