Talk

Advanced search

Boys Kings Grammar and Kesteven and Grantham Girls Grammar - So whose putting their kids through

(16 Posts)
hulahoopsilove Thu 12-Feb-15 20:29:41

just wondering if anyones putting their kids through for the test, so many mums at school at being very cagey about it but most seem to be going for it

hulahoopsilove Wed 18-Feb-15 11:09:04

bump anyone????

Seeker33 Fri 20-Feb-15 11:41:04

What are they doing? Is it maggie ts old school?

EdithWeston Fri 20-Feb-15 11:47:16

They're Lincolnshire grammar schools, so presumably this is about test results and it being less than a month to allocations day.

Is KGGS back in its stride (IYSWIM) these days?

hulahoopsilove Sat 28-Feb-15 09:19:06

Who's applied?

clottedcreamteawithscone Mon 08-Jun-15 13:11:28

both my DD and DS are taking 11+ will be glad when its over the cost of tutoring is ridiculous!!!

SonceyD0g Mon 08-Jun-15 13:35:30

My daughter is at kg. she is doing very well, she wasn't tutored for the 11+ we just bought some practice books from smiths. What you find is children who have been heavily tutored to pass the test tend to struggle there

clottedcreamteawithscone Mon 08-Jun-15 15:38:29

Both my DC are bright and both school and tutor have said they wont struggle but need to get the highest score possible to have any chance of a place. We live in the Vale so fairly near to school but I believe nearer to school the better chance you have.

Can I ask Soncey...is it very costly? Ive heard school uniform, trips etc.. are very much the norm and quite pricey?

SonceyD0g Mon 08-Jun-15 16:03:15

Kings take highest score regardless of distance. Kg works on high score/distance from school. Bus ticket is our most expensive purchase each year. You can buy a yearly pass I think before end of June to get it cheaper still talking £700. Strict on uniform but downtown do good deals on buy one get one half price etc. the blazer I get from Grantham clothing as they are a different brand and much more hard wearing than the ones at downtown. Our catchment comp you can only buy uniform direct from them and they charge what they like so that's worked out cheaper. Trips I would say I have never said "how much?" So think safe to say reasonable prices for what they are. They do work the girls very hard assume all this info goes equally for kings but I only have girls
Oh and don't forget everyone has to have a yacht and a couple of ponies! Only joking. I haven't bought the yacht yet......

clottedcreamteawithscone Tue 09-Jun-15 09:57:57

what is your catchment school? Is it Toot Hill by any chance as I did look at this school as well, but it very, very big!

Yes I have heard that about Kg working them very hard but results are good.

SonceyD0g Tue 09-Jun-15 12:39:09

Yes it is. They have another huge intake this year as well. I've heard mixed reports about it. We had a look around it but it didn't go on our list

clottedcreamteawithscone Tue 09-Jun-15 14:19:27

We also looked around, I was quite impressed and the results were good but it is just very big, in fact huge although they did say there were extending with a new building.

I also looked at Belvoir High have heard terrible reports re: this school so steering clear

butmumineedit Tue 09-Jun-15 20:47:18

If you have girls then also look at Walton girls high school in Grantham, my daughter goes there and we live over 16miles away, am pleased with the school they have excellent pastoral care and treat each girl as an individual

clottedcreamteawithscone Wed 10-Jun-15 10:13:00

ah not heard of Walton will look into this.

Where do you live Butmumineedit

butmumineedit Wed 10-Jun-15 12:54:08

Live the other side of Grantham in small village of A52 1/2 way between Grantham and Boston, our nearest secondaries are Sleaford but dd failed the 11plus and the comp in Sleaford wasn't the right school for her but she is thriving at Walton girls, loads come from Newark, Bottesford etc

clottedcreamteawithscone Thu 11-Jun-15 14:50:59

ah I see will look into it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now