Advanced search

4yo DS struggling with phonics in reception class

(7 Posts)
SinisterBuggyMonth Mon 09-Feb-15 13:21:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QuiteQuietly Mon 09-Feb-15 14:57:25

Personally I'd be grateful they had noticed the problem and were doing something about it. DD2 has got to Christmas in Y1 with absolutely no clue (recognised the sounds, couldn't blend), and Reception teacher was very happy to let it slide with "she's only young" and "it will click at some point". Y1 teacher set up some weekly intervention with a TA which for various reasons (TA off sick, TA left, new TA attending training, Christmas plays etc. etc.) only happened once in the whole autumn term. I am now dealing with it by buying a structured program for home and beating her about the head with it every day.

I doubt many schools throw resources at nothing. DD2's lack of reading skills has knocked her confidence in so many other areas and make writing, maths and everything so much harder in Y1. She has fallen behind in everything. If there is an issue with your DS, so much better to get a handle on it now.

SinisterBuggyMonth Mon 09-Feb-15 15:34:03

Frusso Mon 09-Feb-15 15:41:13

Ferguson Mon 09-Feb-15 19:02:25

I will give you a couple of ideas that may help, but I wonder how much you read TO him, as well as sharing school books with him. Possibly, if he has not been used to books and people reading to him since he was a baby, then the whole concept of print on a page representing words and ideas, could be new to him.

An inexpensive and easy to use book, that can encourage children with reading, spelling and writing, and really help them to understand Phonics, is reviewed in the MN Book Reviews section. Just search ‘Phonics’.

When I worked with less able Yr2 children, who were finding learning to read particularly difficult, we often used a SoundWorks kit, which consisted of a set of wooden letter blocks, which the child used to build simple words. The theory was that, for some children, it is easier to SPELL words than READ them, which is a later stage.

It started with three-letter words, with a vowel in the middle - "a" glued onto a board.

The child then looked at the individual letter blocks, and was asked to make the word "c a t". Then he was asked, how do we change "c a t" into "h a t", which letter do we need to change? Then change "hat" into "ham" (with an emphasis on the "mmmm" sound).

Work slowly, and pronounce the sounds accurately and clearly. This approach was used with our Yr2 children who had been unable to make progress with more conventional methods of learning to read. It is rather time-consuming, and ideally needs resources to be made, but it does work very well.

So, if you can find or make suitable letters, and make a card with "a" glued in the middle, your child may enjoy building the words. Use letters that are occurring in words in the books he is bringing home, and then go on to make cards for the other vowels if it seems
to work with "a".

I agree he is young, and these days more and more seems to be expected from Reception children; some can take in their stride, but others find it all rather bewildering.

Try and keep things relaxed and 'cool', and praise any effort and progress he makes, so that he starts to feel pleased and proud of his developing skills.

SinisterBuggyMonth Mon 09-Feb-15 20:53:40

poppy70 Mon 09-Feb-15 20:57:20

There is a lot yo be wary of there Ferguson with regard to reception children. Many high achieving ones are missing the last sound in words likw cat. Not indicative of a problem at all. I would concentrate for the moment on initial sounds. Crawl before you can walk. Whether there is cause for concern very much depends on a comparison. How well is he doing otherwise? Some children don't get phonics. Its hard for them. There is no real ability to test a child for dylexia or the like at all. Child should get extra help and if they are getting it willcyhen its a matter of progress... not of how high thrir attainment is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now