Advanced search

Tutor for a year 2?

(18 Posts)
Slippersmum Fri 06-Feb-15 15:04:09

My son is really struggling at school. He just cannot grasp the building blocks eg basics of literacy and numeracy etc. He has been assessed for everything at school and we had private tests undertaken all of which indicate there is no 'specific cause' such as dyslexia etc. I am so upset for him as he works so hard and is always on task during lessons. He often receives certificates for great effort. We have read every night literally from birth. What are people's thoughts? His class is fairly large and he gets very little 1:1 time during the day. A smaller school? A tutor?

KnittedJimmyChoos Fri 06-Feb-15 16:17:14

Yes either, what can you afford.

I would 100% be looking at extra support.

ReallyTired Fri 06-Feb-15 16:45:03

How old is your son? Summerborn children often struggle even if they are intelligent. Have you tested his sight and his hearing?

I think that a tutor is a good idea provided you find the right tutor. The best way to find a good tutor is recommendation. With big tutoring chains like Kip McGarth or Explore so much depends on who is running the centre. Its vital you get someone who has recent experience of a British classroom.

barefootcook Fri 06-Feb-15 20:13:44

A tutor sounds a very good idea. I know it 's tricky to arrange, but little and often is more effective. If you could get someone twice or even three times a week for 30 minutes DS might make more progress and enjoy the extra lessons more. We have a university student who helps DS with his homework each week day morning and then drops him at school. She is not a tutor as such but I leave her a list of things I would like covered and she makes sure it is done. It works very well for us but it sounds like you may need an experienced tutor.

Caronaim Fri 06-Feb-15 20:58:56

I do tutoring, but would never accept a pupil of this age, I just don't think he should be spending extra time on school work. there are any number of parents looking for tutors for this age and younger, so I suppose there must be people who agree to do it.

Why don't you just do more with him yourself, then it can be made to fit flexibly round your life, and you can do odds and ends in dead time, like waiting for a bus, and stop doing it any time you feel he isn't enjoying it, or would rather do something else.

ReallyTired Fri 06-Feb-15 21:18:49

There is a world of a difference between getting a tutor for a struggling child and a tutor to pass the eleven plus. The OP wants to help her son learn the basics. If he cannot read by the end of year 2 then he will really struggle in key stage 2.

Doowrah Fri 06-Feb-15 22:13:27

Where are you? I am in Somerset and a Year 2 Teacher. If you want a tutor ask in the staff room section for someone in your area.

MinimalistMommi Sat 07-Feb-15 09:06:59

You could do this, ten mins a day, would make an amazing difference and then when he is ready move on to the power of 2:

Slippersmum Sat 07-Feb-15 10:19:41

Thanks so much for the replies. I work with my son everyday just 10 min bitesize chunks and as I mentioned volunteer in his class 2 days a week to ensure I am doing it the right way. We read ever night and always have. We have had his eyes and ears tested. School say they are puzzled as they believe something is not fitting. His verbal skills are excellent. The gap is getting wider and wider now and I am desperate to help him. At the moment he doesn't notice too much and we ensure he gets lots of praise for his hobbies but there will come a point when he will realise and if there was something we could have done and didn't, well .... He is almost 7 and cannot write a legible sentence. I agree with the summer birthday post our daughter was born the last day of August and it took a while. My son is April. Am I over worrying about this. Thanks once again for your kind comments and advice x

Slippersmum Sat 07-Feb-15 10:21:10

ReallyTired you are right he can hardly read. He will read and on one page then not know it on the next

ReallyTired Sat 07-Feb-15 13:19:14

I don't like the power of 2. I does nothing to help understanding. There is more to maths than regurgitating number facts. I think it's desperately worrying that your son cannot read. What are the school doing to help him? What is his phonics knowledge like?

A good tutor is an advisor on how best to help your child. As a parent you would still need to help him at home, but you would have guidance how to help him more effectively.

MinimalistMommi Sat 07-Feb-15 18:11:01

Really The Power of 1 is very simple compared to the power of 2. The books work on repetition of number bond for example which are so important to have a solid foundation off.

MinimalistMommi Sat 07-Feb-15 18:11:51

I would recommend Jelly and Bean scheme, it's really excellent.

MinimalistMommi Sat 07-Feb-15 18:12:08

For reading I mean!

Killasandra Sat 07-Feb-15 18:17:12

What did the ed psych report say?

It's very unusual for a child without dyslexia (and with good teaching etc) to not be reading okish by the end of Y2.

happy2bhomely Sat 07-Feb-15 18:31:26

I just wanted to let you know that my eldest Ds was quite like yours. He could read a little (sound out a little, but not really read a line and understand.) He was assessed as working at level 1c at the end of yr2. Nothing was clicking, although he was trying very hard. I was told by his teacher that she would be surprised if he reached level 3 before yr 6.

He got some extra support at school during yr3. Small group work. 15 minutes of 1:1 a week. We suspected dyslexia (DH is dyslexic). But all assessments said he was fine. Then it just started to click. He left yr6 working at level 5. He is now in yr9 working at level 7.

Of course you should try and get him help, but don't panic yet. Some kids just take a little longer.

Ferguson Sat 07-Feb-15 18:52:06

These three items might help a bit:

An inexpensive and easy to use book, that can encourage children with reading, spelling and writing, and really help them to understand Phonics, is reviewed in the MN Book Reviews section. Just search ‘Phonics’.

When I worked with less able Yr2 children, who were finding learning to read particularly difficult, we often used a SoundWorks kit, which consisted of a set of wooden letter blocks, which the child used to build simple words. The theory was that, for some children, it is easier to SPELL words than READ them, which is a later stage.

It started with three-letter words, with a vowel in the middle - "a" glued onto a board.

The child then looked at the individual letter blocks, and was asked to make the word "c a t". Then he was asked, how do we change "c a t" into "h a t", which letter do we need to change? Then change "hat" into "ham" (with an emphasis on the "mmmm" sound).

Work slowly, and pronounce the sounds accurately and clearly. This approach was used with our Yr2 children who had been unable to make progress with more conventional methods of learning to read. It is rather time-consuming, and ideally needs resources to be made, but it does work very well.

So, if you can find or make suitable letters, and make a card with "a" glued in the middle, your child may enjoy building the words. Use letters that are occurring in words in the books he is bringing home, and then go on to make cards for the other vowels if it seems to work with "a".

Practical things are best for grasping number concepts - bricks, Lego, beads, counters, money, shapes, weights, measuring, cooking.

Do adding, taking away, multiplication (repeated addition), division (sharing), using REAL OBJECTS as just 'numbers' can be too abstract for some children.

Number Bonds of Ten forms the basis of much maths, so try to learn them. Using Lego or something similar, use a LOT of bricks (of just TWO colours, if you have enough) lay them out so the pattern can be seen of one colour INCREASING while the other colour DECREASES. Lay them down, or build up like steps.

ten of one colour none of other
nine of one colour one of other
eight of one colour two of other
seven of one colour three of other

then of course, the sides are equal at 5 and 5; after which the colours 'swap over' as to increasing/decreasing.

To learn TABLES, do them in groups that have a relationship, thus:

x2, x4, x8

x3, x6, x12

5 and 10 are easy

7 and 9 are rather harder.

Starting with TWO times TABLE, I always say: "Imagine the class is lining up in pairs; each child will have a partner, if there is an EVEN number in the class. If one child is left without a partner, then the number is ODD, because an odd one is left out."

Use Lego bricks again, lay them out in a column of 2 wide to learn 2x table. Go half way down the column, and move half the bricks up, so that now the column is 4 bricks wide. That gives the start of 4x table.

Then do similar things with 3x and 6x.

With 5x, try and count in 'fives', and notice the relationship with 'ten' - they will alternate, ending in 5 then 10.

It is important to try and UNDERSTAND the relationships between numbers, and not just learn them 'by rote'.

An inexpensive solar powered calculator (no battery to run out!) can help learn tables by 'repeated addition'. So: enter 2+2 and press = to give 4. KEEP PRESSING = and it should add on 2 each time, giving 2 times table.

There are good web sites, which can be fun to use :

ReallyTired Sat 07-Feb-15 21:01:19

Ipad apps like One Billion or Archemedes are great gor mastering maths.

Children need real life physical experiences to understand maths. Singapore maths kindergarten books would be good if you get hold of them. lego is great for mastering addition and number bonds. The other thing you can do is make number brackets to develop number sense

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now