Talk

Advanced search

Early intervention group...

(11 Posts)
Starlightbright1 Wed 04-Feb-15 21:29:42

Hi
I have found out my DS is in an early intervention group for literacy and maths...In literacy I know his hand writing has been behind but he is a very good reader..

His Maths according to him he is in the second group out of 6..he is year 3

So my question is

What are Early intervention groups and any idea why my DS is in it?

poppy70 Wed 04-Feb-15 21:45:51

His abilty is lower than you think? Could be an intervention fo handwriting. He must be behind in maths. Ask his teacher.

nonicknameseemsavailable Wed 04-Feb-15 21:51:30

I understood early intervention groups to be for children that they believe will benefit from them, ie children they think have the potential to do better than they currently are doing rather than the children who are struggling the most because of other reasons who they may not think have the potential. does that make sense? I know my daughters school do some early intervention stuff for writing in Yr1, it is the children from the middle groups generally who get picked to do it and then they normally start moving up and achieving more. (mind of course if the top group had had small group teaching they could also have probably moved up more too but that is another issue altogether).

poppy70 Wed 04-Feb-15 21:54:21

And the other answer is early intervention gtoups are usually gor targeting kids who are at risk of falling behind. Could ne another resdon. Just ask the teacher

poppy70 Wed 04-Feb-15 21:58:01

They are also for middle group but depends how much money the school have. If none they will only be for lower. If they have more it will generally be for loeer and loeer middle. HA ability children in most good schools would continuously be stretched. .. they don't need a group.

Starlightbright1 Wed 04-Feb-15 21:59:47

I can't ask his teacher poppy70 as she is off sick and he has a steady stream of replacements.. He has just finished a handwriting group which I completely understood..

I have told my DS to think how lucky he is to have a teacher to help them and 4 other children... but in reality I have no idea what the issue is so no idea how to help him.

Yes nonickname your explanation does ring some bells for me..thank you

nonicknameseemsavailable Wed 04-Feb-15 23:16:00

Poppy we have specific ones which have been written purely for say the 2 middle groups if there are 4 different ability groups in a class. Bottom groups are fully supported at their level anyway but it was proved i believe that money is better spent at improving the achievement of the lower middle children than the bottom group who actually might not be capable of achieving much more than they do. that isn't quite coming out as I mean it to but that is the information I read.

and sadly top groups might get differentiation but even in good schools they invariably are not taught at their real level, just stretched a bit in order to show progress but noone ever looks at what they COULD achieve if they were given more. There isn't the money for that, that is understood but it can be frustrating to be trying to bring other children up to the levels of these bright children who are effortlessly achieving the levels but could achieve so much more themselves if given the chance.

I think if the OPs child is where she believes he is in the class then it is most likely they think they can see a way to really help him over a few things he is struggling with and then he will be able to progress further rather than him really being low down in the class if that makes sense.

Fleurdelise Thu 05-Feb-15 08:31:50

My Dd (year 3 now) was in such a group in year 2 for spelling and writing. When I heard I was a bit worried as she was and still is a capable reader and her spelling was ok. I went to have a chat with her teacher and when asked her level I have been told she was a middle of the class "average" child. That was at the beginning of year 2 and after just one term of being taken away with another 4 kids her spelling was amazing. By the end of year 2 she got above average levels in maths and literacy and now at only 7 (she is an August born child) in year 3 I am amazed how good her spelling is and her writing is so neat.

So maybe it is not because he is behind but because he has been identified that he can do better?

poppy70 Thu 05-Feb-15 18:22:54

Sorry I would call lower middle the lower group because they are in danger of fallingg behind. The lower lower already are. Some schools do them to get the higher middle into the top group too. Of they have the money.

Camolips Thu 05-Feb-15 19:53:09

A literacy intervention would concentrate on writing rather than handwriting E.g. Punctuation, descriptive words, connectives etc. Does he need a boost in those areas?

Starlightbright1 Thu 05-Feb-15 20:20:50

In all honesty I don't know. It is possible. He at times in year 1 refused to write at all simply as he believed he couldn't do it so simply wouldn't.... so it could follow he is a bit behind although from what I can remember from last years report he was about where he should be.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: