Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Bad behaviour of 6 year old daughter

(6 Posts)
bohochick Tue 03-Feb-15 18:47:33

My daughter is six years old next week and my husband and I are constantly being called in to school re: her mean behaviour to classmates and aggressiveness. She rarely shows any remorse and will often lie about what happened or deny anything is wrong but then suddenly cries and states she can't control her behaviour. The school are very good and have been having regular meetings with teaching staff but at wits end as to what to do with her reoccurring bad behaviour.

Ferguson Tue 03-Feb-15 18:57:38

What is her behaviour like at home? Are there any siblings? Has anything in her life changed recently? What was she like in Nursery, Reception? What is her academic level like? Does she get a good diet, enough sleep, minimum 'screen time'?

I think you need to ask yourselves questions like these. Children don't really WANT to be constantly in trouble, but sometimes different factors or situations just seem to drive them into it, and it is difficult for adults to really understand the cause.

bohochick Tue 03-Feb-15 19:06:50

She has an older male sibling aged 10 - very academic and well behaved. Issues in Nursery and Reception but have escalated in Year 1. Academically she is above average. She has a rebellious nature and we do discipline her accordingly. Her screen time is very strictly managed. She sleeps well apart from last week when she did have two days in a row when she did not sleep well which did impact on her schooling the next day.

After each meeting, her behaviour improves for a few weeks or so and then lapses. Her current teacher is newly qualified and inexperienced but the head of year is excellent and we have been liaising her with rather than her class teacher.

TheRealMBJ Tue 03-Feb-15 19:50:00

Is she being adequately challenged in school? Perhaps she is bored and acting out?

bohochick Tue 03-Feb-15 19:55:25

Have a meeting with her head of year tomorrow so will update. Nothing to suggest she is not being adequately challenged but may discover more tomorrow and will update.

Ionacat Tue 03-Feb-15 22:17:55

Has she had any ELSA support? (Emotional literacy support) Most schools have an ELSA trained assistant and she might benefit from some sessions. Might be worth asking if you haven't been offered any.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: