Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Oxford Reading Tree

(9 Posts)
TheCrimsonQueen Sat 31-Jan-15 08:34:21

I know that there have been recent threads about reading at primary level. I must confess I find the whole ORT difficult to decipher and I got lost on those threads.

My son is 6 in May and has two books to read this weekend. They are Paris Adventure (book band 6 orange) and Don't Be Silly (Stage 6 - More Owls). I have no idea what this means and I must confess that the books are not very interesting and it irritates me that they do not use full words like "Do Not Be Silly". Probably being precious.

Can someone tell me what level 6 means and whether I should be pushing him harder.

Thanks.

ChalkyC Sat 31-Jan-15 08:38:50

I think he's doing pretty well...
https://www.readingchest.co.uk/book-bands

TheCrimsonQueen Sat 31-Jan-15 08:57:21

Thank you ChalkyC for the link - really helpful. At the last parents' evening I was told he was at the bottom end for reading and that they would like him to be free reading or on the higher levels.

To be honest he is still sounding out new/unfamiliar words in the Orange series. I am not sure that he is even close to free reading or that he will be for at least another 6 months minimum.

I guess he will get there when he is ready.

Many thanks.

ChalkyC Sat 31-Jan-15 09:16:02

My DS will be 6 in April and he's just on level 5 - which I read as bang on for the middle term of year 1. He's still sounding out too and likes the familiarity of the (oh so dull and now q dated!) ORT. I'm not really sure how you push them with reading other than just doing more - which my son is resistant to!

MMmomKK Sat 31-Jan-15 10:17:25

The only "pushing" thing you can do is to provide them books they would want to read.

I just picked up some early readers at Oxfam (level 6-8 approximately, judging by vocabulary) they were all about Superheros, and Lego Star Wars.

DD2 has recently decided that she is a 'tomboy'. So these books worked really well! Every now and then I find her reading by herself, which she didn't do before.

mamababa Sat 31-Jan-15 10:20:38

I would say Orange is above average for year 1. Also 'don't' is a perfectly acceptable word is it not?!

louisejxxx Sat 31-Jan-15 10:38:19

I think orange is good for this point in year 1 - if he is at the bottom end then the cohort must be fairly above average. I wouldn't even think about free reading at this stage, and he should definitely still be sounding out words he doesn't know...He will still need this skill for the phonics screening at the end of the year.

TheCrimsonQueen Sat 31-Jan-15 10:46:16

Thank you all for your comments. The school does push quite hard and some of his close friends are on white books and some with black spines. I am not sure what that means but I assume they are significantly higher up the tree.

He does enjoy reading particularly the Mr Men series. Finds Mr Forgetful really funny.

I have decided to work with him on the high frequency words. I have bought the Osborne reading books which seem to have better story lines and we are reading those at the moment.

Ferguson Sat 31-Jan-15 18:49:07

OP - I was a primary TA / helper for twenty-five years; now retired, I still offer help via MN, when appropriate.

I'm not sure exactly when the ORT books started, but it is probably well over thirty years ago. However, the newer ORT books should conform to current Phonics methods, so should be decodable, which the originals certainly were not.

I think the most important thing is that a child is HAPPY to read, and to tackle new words by sounding out. They should also start to acquire the beginnings of punctuation, and to understand different ways text is used: recounts, stories, non-fiction, instructions (ie recipes, or building something), and in due course to be able to write in each style.

I see that Paris Adventure is in the Magic Key series, where the key takes the children to different places and different periods in time. Thus it is 'teaching' geography and history, but in a transparent way.

A useful way to tackle more difficult and more interesting books, is to share the reading with him. He points to words as he goes along, reading them if he can, or hovering his finger over the word if he can't (or doesn't want to try). At this point you step in, saying the word for him; maintain the flow, and don't stop to analyse words. (You can recap on them later, if you wish). This is more rewarding for the child, as he can read books beyond his normal ability, but without the fear of 'getting stuck'.

I give below some 'links', and finally information on a book I consider invaluable for primary reading:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_Key

www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Reading-Tree-Stages-Storybooks/dp/0198452497/ref=dp_ob_image_bk

An inexpensive and easy to use book, that can encourage children with reading, spelling and writing, and really help them to understand Phonics, is reviewed in the MN Book Reviews section. Just search ‘Phonics’. It will take them right through primary school, and to the start of secondary for some children.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: