Advanced search

Jags vs DUCKS

(10 Posts)
Mammalondinese Fri 30-Jan-15 23:41:03

My daughter has just got an entry offer at Jags in Dulwich but sadly not Alleyns which as Co-Ed was my n.1choice.
We have also already paid her place at DUCKS as coming from Denmark where we still are we felt the need to secure something when the offer was made to us.
Question: would you accept Jags (girls only) and be happy she can stay throughout her education or go to mixed Ducks which she will have to leave after Y2 as it ends there and go and do a new set if interviews?

Does anyone know these 2 schools above? And what other great mixed school are there in Dulwich to start at at 7+?

Thanks !!

ChalkyC Sat 31-Jan-15 08:15:08

I don't have direct experience of either sch but I think I would go for JAGS - it's an amazing school and you could always try for alleyns again at 7/11+ if you wanted. I think having the stress of having to find a 7+ place would be awful....

I haven't heard such amazing things about Ducks recently - they are very focused, naturally, on the 7+.

Luna9 Sat 31-Jan-15 08:15:43

I live in Dulwich; I suggest you take the Jags place and try Alleyns again a 7plus if you still want co-ed. They are the best private schools in Dulwich with Dulwich College which is only boys.

ridinghighinapril Sat 31-Jan-15 08:57:18

Mammalondinese - congratulations!
Did you get a letter from both, i.e. a rejection (sorry, awful word but can't think of an alternative) from Alleyn's?
We haven't heard from either yet so not sure if it is because we haven't received any offers or that the schools letters were sent out too late for us to receive yesterday.

PicnicGatecrasher Sat 31-Jan-15 09:47:23

I'm assuming you are talking about 4+ firm you post. Jags website states that 4+ offers will be posted on Friday 30th.

How did you know yesterday?

ridinghighinapril Sat 31-Jan-15 10:36:09

Never fear, received our letters today for 4+. Maybe Mammalondinese has a very efficient postie?

firsttimer08 Sat 31-Jan-15 10:41:55

She wrote that they live in Denmark. Usually overseas candidates receive emails and have an expedited process. Same has been the case for WUS and CC.

ridinghighinapril Sat 31-Jan-15 15:59:51

I have not heard great things about DUCKS at 7+ and you will not have to go through this with JAGS.
I personally have no issue with single sex education, in fact I quite like that gender can not even be an issue in a single sex environment. Think of extracurricular activities as an opportunity to mix with the opposite sex so it doesn't have to mean that your daughter will not get a chance to mix with boys until 18 (although by age 13 you may wish that was the case!).
However, you have to decide whether you and your daughter will be happy in that set up.
Good luck!

ridinghighinapril Sat 31-Jan-15 16:02:45

Other mixed gender schools locally are: Oakfield and Rosemead (both go to age 11y) and St. Dunstan's in Catford (up to age 18y).

The other option is to try JAPS and if by age 7y you decide you'd prefer co-ed then try for Alleyn's again, safe in the knowledge that you have a place at JAPS to fall back on if unsuccessful.

letsplayscrabble Sat 31-Jan-15 16:34:31

Look at all the angst on the 7+ threads. I don't know the schools, but why go through that if you don't have to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now