Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Is year 6 particularly tricky for girls?

(31 Posts)
MrsTawdry Mon 26-Jan-15 20:50:22

My DD has seemed very miserable this term. She's usually happy and happy to go to school...she has two very close friends and they're not leaving her out. I know this...but she seems and says she is...sad a lot.

She finds maths hard but excels elsewhere...what is it? We're moving after year 6 so I thought maybe she felt down because she won't be following her friends to high school but she says she's very excited about moving and indeed, she knows the place we're going to very well and loves it...her Gran lives there as do other family members and it's lovely.

What can I do? Is this normal in year 6?

JugglingLife Mon 26-Jan-15 20:54:52

Hormones. That's it really. That's the excuse I give my Y6 little witch.

MrsTawdry Mon 26-Jan-15 21:08:41

I did think that. She shaved her legs yesterday without my knowledge! She did a good job...and I would have let her do it if I knew the hairs bothered her!

Is it normal for hormones to make them so snappy? And sad and dramatic?

pippitysqueakity Mon 26-Jan-15 21:12:02

Yes! And tears and over excited and newly sweaty and just about everything else.
(Try combining with menopause in Mummy, now there is a hormonal soup...grin

pippitysqueakity Mon 26-Jan-15 21:12:34

)

Hassled Mon 26-Jan-15 21:15:14

Yes, it's normal. They're often a simmering ball of prepubescent rage and hormones at Year 6, and it seems to be peak "you're not my friend anymore" time.

MrsTawdry Mon 26-Jan-15 21:16:45

Oh it's DREADFUL! shock I had no idea! I'd heard about it all of course but couldn't quite imagine it!

What can I doooo? I thought about getting her some natural thing...I don't know...oil of evening primrose and cutting down her sugar intake.

MuddhaOfSuburbia Mon 26-Jan-15 21:18:21

pippity I'll see your teary over excited sweaty y6 DD/menopausal mum, and raise you....

TWINS

grin

by the time we have all stabilised our street is going to look like those photos of the Somme after the troops withdrew. Mud, rubble and the odd stunted tree

MrsTawdry Mon 26-Jan-15 21:22:22

Muddha shock do their bad moods coincide or do they time them so you've a constant barrage of hatred and anger directed at them?

Hassled Mon 26-Jan-15 21:22:28

When DD was 11 I also had a two year old. Her tantrums were worse than the toddler's.
I don't know if supplements etc will help - probably worth researching.

MrsTawdry Mon 26-Jan-15 21:24:26

Directed at YOU I meant.

MoreBeta Mon 26-Jan-15 21:31:21

Yes. My DS1and DS2 went to what was essentially a girls school. There were only 4 boys in Yr 6. The girls were so vile to them at playtime the boys basically sat on a bench in the corner of the paying field for the whole year. It just seemed to happen overnight. Lots of bitching, falling out, tantrums and 'queen bee' behaviour.

Now in Yr 8 DS2 says its just as bad but by Yr10 DS1 seems to be enjoying the company of girls again.

pippitysqueakity Mon 26-Jan-15 21:34:53

muddha...just...wow.
Good luck
!

MuddhaOfSuburbia Mon 26-Jan-15 21:37:19

MrsTawdry it's either directed at each other or to me- to be fair they don't gang up but take it in turns to hate my guts

grin

I think personally that it's because school is like walking a tightrope every day- to keep the friends they have/not come to the attention of the Mean Girls- that by the time they get home they're like a pair of prepubescent pressure cookers ready to POP

do find weekends are better. And holidays too

ReallyTired Mon 26-Jan-15 21:41:10

I think that year 6 is hell on earth for both boys and girls. There is relentless pressure from schools to perform well in key stage 2 SATs. (Which the secondaries ignore!). Its a big change moving from primary school to secondary. There is stress over secondary transfer because of leaving friends and not knowing which school a child is going to.

Clutterbugsmum Mon 26-Jan-15 22:03:52

I also has a hormonal soggy mess. To the point her teacher ask if 'everything was all right at home' because dd1 kept crying one week day.

I'm lucky because when she at home she most of her time in bedroom because *she wants to BEEEE ALLLOOONE*grin.

I've got a year 6 DD and yes, it's been interesting this year. We've got periods, we've also had shaved legs and armpits (although I was consulted first) and we've had lots of 'happy' tears - if it's sweet and fluffy, if it's vaguely sad, if it sparkles, then she cries. Luckily we haven't had tantrums, but she was never prone to them as a toddler either (we're a sulk and brood type family)

I have noticed though that she's got very clingy and also quite pushy in demanding attention from me. Luckily she's got two older brothers who are happy to interact with her still so it takes it off me a fair amount.

MrsCakesPrecognition Mon 26-Jan-15 22:16:21

DD is the same. It was like the scene from "Kevin the teenager" - only it happened when DD turned 11yo.
I hate that she seems to unhappy and disengaged, but her foul temper makes it hard to feel too much sympathy. However, I have been implementing additional hugs and excessively long drawn out bedtime chats in which I reassure her that I too was grumpy and blue when I was the same age. At least we are still talking.

TeenAndTween Tue 27-Jan-15 09:16:11

Speaking as someone with a y5 DD but also a y11 DD ....
Years 5-8 are the worst, peaking in y6&7.

cutestgirls Tue 27-Jan-15 09:23:29

im recalling my days at that age, sure i gave my mom a run for her money. once heard the hardest part of raising children is potty training them and getting through their puberty years sane and normal. remember she is beginning to explore her environment, her changing body and its signals as well as fortifying her social position in school its quite challenging if you think about it.

dont have that age kids yet, but i know my older sis tries getting her DD (age 12) to talk by starting out, telling her about how her own day was, what annoyed her, who made her angry, feel sad or hurt etc. try it. your gonna have to tread the waters according to her beat though.
good luck

OldBeanbagz Tue 27-Jan-15 09:24:55

Year 6, Year 7, Year 8. I'm just hoping it will stop soon before i'm completly grey haired!

Soexcitedforthisyear Tue 27-Jan-15 12:06:24

Year 6 was hard, they've had enough of primary. They're sick of the site of each other and if you are in a sats factory it's boring. Year 7 seems fine so far and our secondary sets from day 1 according to SATS as well as CATS and we knew this so SATS did count

canny1234 Tue 27-Jan-15 12:45:07

My year 6 girl has become much more demanding of my attention and temperamental.She has become obsessed with prettying up her bedroom and frequently retreats to her bedroom to read a book or go on her tablet and to get dressed/undressed.
Very little physical development so far though and no friendship issues thankfully.

MrsTawdry Tue 27-Jan-15 18:52:28

Exited We ARE in a SATS factory! The school is state but very academic...made the Times list this year too...so maybe the pressure is high.

canny mine also gets changed multiple times.

Soexcitedforthisyear Tue 27-Jan-15 23:32:24

The pressure is high in a Sats factory, by the end of year 6 the more able ones can do the level 5 papers with their eyes shut and the school can boast how well they have done but what they haven't done is the really useful stuff like learning how to do research, use independent thought and interpretation and to understand how to put together a project. That has been the biggest shock by far to my eldest in year 7.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: