Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Spelling Test Stress

(6 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Wed 21-Jan-15 23:00:10

My Y3 DS got one spelling wrong in his first spelling test today and as the rest of his table got them all right he is extremely upset.

He is a sensitive lad but was saying things like, "I don't think you're proud of me anymore!"

We practised the spellings a lot at home so I hope I haven't contributed and put too much emphasis on the test.

I told,him that getting one wrong is still a brilliant result.

I don't like seeing him that upset. DH said it doesn't do him any harm to not get 100% right every time.

How should I play next week's test?

sparkysparkysparky Thu 22-Jan-15 07:12:32

We have this. I can only suggest reinforcing positive messages. We sometimes dig up real or fake memories of mistakes we have made. For example, although I can spell 'United' , I always type 'Untied' which the great God Google doesn’t correct. I always remember 'necessary' as 'one collar/two socks'. It is heartbreaking to see them upset over a tiny mishap. We're doing spelling homework just now so I am with you.

BaconAndAvocado Thu 22-Jan-15 17:24:05

Thanks sparky

DS is in a much better mood today, especially after I told him that another boy in his year got 7 wrong.

I'm going to try and be a bit more laid back about next week's test smile

RueDeWakening Thu 22-Jan-15 17:36:44

DD is in the top group for spelling (also year 3) and managed a somewhat less than impressive 6/12 today - she's had no sympathy, either, as I've been asking her to practise or at least look at them all bloody week!

I hate spelling tests

maizieD Thu 22-Jan-15 17:40:14

Consider it as a 'learning opportunity'. The purpose of the test isn't to compete with everyone else to get top marks but to find out what you don't know so that you can work on areas of weakness.

I don't know how easy that concept is to sell to a Y3 child, but it's worth a try grin

fuzzpig Thu 22-Jan-15 17:42:28

My DD was sad too the first time she got one wrong! I try to put a lot of emphasis on challenging herself being a good thing, so she can see the positives. It is hard when they have perfectionist tendencies (god knows I did)

I think my brainwashing has worked though as when I was trying some new piano music and saying it was really difficult, and she piped up "that's good though mummy, it means you're challenging yourself!" grin

I think it's important for her to see other people not doing everything easily IYSWIM.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: