Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

speech/hearing

(9 Posts)
morethanpotatoprints Wed 21-Jan-15 21:32:32

Was wondering if anybody recognised this as something specific or should we look into this.

our dd doesn't always hear things right, or she can't say them right.
She mispronounces words all the time and makes her own words out of two other words.

e.g she meant to say circumstance but got it mixed up with situation and unfortunately she shouted circumcision in a loud voice.

She looked in a shop window and saw a compact mirror and said look at that beautiful tampon mirror.

Even though very gifted at music, singing back a phrase is really hard for her.
This is why I'm not sure if its hearing or speech.

She had speech therapy as toddler until school.
I too had speech problems and am dyslexic.

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 21-Jan-15 22:56:16

I think that if you have any doubts whatsoever about her hearing you should take her for a test.

There are so many different causes of slight hearing loss. It causes so many problems in young children and is so commonly missed. I personally think hearing should be tested every 2 years like eyes are.

Get her hearing tested just to rule that out. They usually send children for a hearing test pre-speech therapy anyway so even if it is a speech problem at least you'll already have ruled out hearing problems.

NaiveMaverick Thu 22-Jan-15 11:04:52

This sounds like word finding problems which are common in children with dyslexia.

A speech therapist is the right person to assess this.

nonicknameseemsavailable Thu 22-Jan-15 13:02:28

my daughter (7) has a specific word finding difficulty.
In your position I would ask the GP to refer her to a SALT and for a full hearing test (not the little ones they do at school but a proper one).

DD didn't have a hearing test as we didn't have concerns about her hearing at all, her problem presented itself in her reading oddly at first. she would say the wrong phonic sound but be trying to correct herself and eventually when she was 6 she managed to tell me that the sound she was saying wasn't the one she was trying to say or the one she was 'saying in her head' so this means she can read in her head but reading out loud is quite complicated for her.

She has a lot of dyslexia signs but passed the test, she has a lot of dyspraxia signs and motor planning problems (including her decoding issues - she has excellent phonological knowledge - think that is the right name but in a long word the sounds all come out in completely the wrong order, not because of tracking issues with her eyes - that has been checked but because of her speaking issues) but she passed the ABC test and although dyspraxia traits were observed the physio wouldn't diagnose anything (or mention it in her report!)

anyway I am waffling. We paid for private speech therapy which mostly focused on categories. so she had to do mind maps for words she associated with a topic, or be given pictures associated with a topic and then she had to group them so say the topic was animals. she had to look at a mix of pictures and then put them into groups of say farm animals, wild animals, pets or whatever. to retrain her brain to group them in different ways. She had about 8 sessions (might have been a bit more, I can't honestly remember) and we practiced at home and she did make good progress. I think the key thing for us though was her confidence. she learned to laugh at her mistakes and to say things like 'I have a word finding problem so can you just give me a minute to remember the word' or 'I can't remember' rather than 'I don't know'.

It is frustrating for her but it can be helped with therapy. She still gets words mixed up but she laughs now. feel free to PM me.

morethanpotatoprints Thu 22-Jan-15 13:10:18

Thank you for the replies, I was finding it difficult where to start.
I'm pretty sure eyesight is ok because she wears glasses just for reading and has regular check ups.
We haven't had her ears done for ages though,so will get these checked.

Does anybody know if our gp could refer to saltor if we would have to pay to go private.
She is 11, but doesn't attend school atm, as H,ed.
More than likely going to school next year though.

Laura0806 Thu 22-Jan-15 13:29:13

sounds quite similar to my daughter. School kept saying no concerns as she was average ability but I knew there was something not right. Took to a private psychologist who has diagnosed dyslexia and speech and language difficulties. Nonickname; when you said your daughter failed the dyslexia test, what do you mean? I think teachers are all too quick to dismiss dyslexia.
morethan-Im not sure if your GP can refer but I guess so and certainly worth a visit. At the age your dd is , its normally through school. You don't have to go private but depending on the wait you may want to. Its highly likely there is dsylexia and speech problems with your dd aswell given the family history ( eg you!) and what you describe but obviously you would need a full assessment.

nonicknameseemsavailable Thu 22-Jan-15 13:34:51

GP should be able to do a SALT referral. The problem you might get is like we did where there is a long wait list -so we paid privately - if I remember right the place we went charged us something like £150 for the assessments and report and then it was about £40 a session - can recommend them if you are in Dorset. The other thing is my DD wouldn't have qualified for help on the NHS. She has had an NHS assessment now as part of something else and they confirmed the diagnosis but she scored well for her age with her actual knowledge so therefore she didn't qualify. It is a difficult one to guess at.

There are different categories, you can be a slow but accurate retriever, a slow but inaccurate retriever or a fast but inaccurate retriever etc so these also need looking at.

There is good information on here. speech-language-therapy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100:wordretrieval&catid=11:admin&Itemid=120 and here www.wordfinding.com/whomayhave.html this second website also gives information re IEPs etc which will be useful if she goes into mainstream education next year as you will need to speak to the SALT. My daughter doesn't get any additional help at school but the TA and teacher know the questioning process that we use to help jog her memory, it is important she remembers the word herself rather than us just tell her it as it helps to build up the neural pathways I believe whereas if we just tell her then she isn't building up the link herself. so for the teachers to know that it is helpful, also things like them knowing the effect it can have on her reading so it would be important for you to tell a school once she was offered a place.

morethanpotatoprints Thu 22-Jan-15 13:52:48

Thank you nonickname

From what posters have said and a quick look at th link you provided, it all seems to ring a bell with how dd is.
A lot of the time its not a huge problem and I understand there isn't much they can do in terms of support in school.
But just the fact that I can inform them when she starts and for the TA to know.
I will try our gp and I know that dd won't be happy about it, but I think assessment is important for her future education.

nonicknameseemsavailable Thu 22-Jan-15 14:08:21

I am not sure because my daughter is so much younger but I sat her down and explained to her what the SALT thought it might be (I had talked to her in depth on the phone first) and I showed her what the symptoms were. She couldn't believe how much it explained her problems. WHen she was then diagnosed she stopped having tantrums after school etc which was a huge breakthrough, she knew there was a reason for her problem and it changed it completely. I think if you explain to your daughter, show her the links, explain how they can help her then she will probably see it as a relief.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: