Talk

Advanced search

Good books for 8 year old boy reading approx stage 6

(6 Posts)
Whowillsaveyoursoul Tue 20-Jan-15 17:53:19

My friend's son is reading around ort stage 6 but as he is 8 years old they are a little young in content. His comprehension is way better than his actual reading.
He's enjoyed some longer or more involved picture books and some picture books without many words but excellent pictures (I want my hat back, this is not my hat, would you rather, you choose etc).
Any other ideas for some slightly more grown up picture books or picture books which you can have a lot or discussion around?
Thanks!

teeththief Tue 20-Jan-15 18:41:09

Fortunately the milk? I'm not sure what it levels at but the pictures are engaging and the story imaginative.

The Man Who Wore All His Clothes, The Enormous Crocodile, possibly The Twits.

Again, I'm not sure of the level they would be but might be worth a look. I'd start with the library though and let him choose for himself at that age

Ummustafa Tue 20-Jan-15 18:51:56

I would recommend the 'Beast Quest' series by Adam Blake. My 7yr old son loves them.

catkind Tue 20-Jan-15 19:41:10

How about some Planet X? We have an alien adventures set from the book people that starts at stage 7, and the higher stages are more approachable when they already know the characters and some of the vocab. They're good adventures. I wouldn't say particularly young, though equally not too scary for younger kids. The storyline follows through the series.

Has he tried Winnie the Witch? Lots of funny detail in the pictures. Some of the nonsense stuff from Dr Seuss maybe - I can read with my eyes shut, fox in socks? I think these might be officially a bit higher in the reading levels but v approachable with the pictures and a bit of help.

nonicknameseemsavailable Tue 20-Jan-15 20:53:48

The Lighthouse Keeper books y Rhonda Armitage are harder than level 6 but they are available in a chapter book sized book, still with colour pictures, not dense text (bigger font than the picture book versions) so would feel more grown up to him.

Also the Claude books are excellent. Alex T Smith I think is the author. Again not much text and chapter book sized.

Smoodle Tue 20-Jan-15 21:00:44

You could try Barrington Stoke books. Your local library should know about them. They are graded by reading age but also interest level. They have a range with reading age of 6 but interest level 8-12 for example which might be perfect. Have a look at their website.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: