Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

travel distance to school

(9 Posts)
redberries Tue 20-Jan-15 13:20:31

I have recently moved and I am unable to get a school near to home my kids travel over 3 miles to get to school, they are on waiting list for nearer schools but are 10th and 8th on the list, very frustrating any suggestions anyone?

Artandco Tue 20-Jan-15 13:23:31

Get bikes?

Ours is 1.5miles away and my reception aged child finds the walk fine. Takes 30mins walking. So 3 miles should be 30 mins or less on a bike

redberries Tue 20-Jan-15 13:27:18

I have a baby in a pushchair as well

Artandco Tue 20-Jan-15 13:28:16

Bike seat for baby

Artandco Tue 20-Jan-15 13:29:21

Or double bike trailer if baby and small 4 year old maybe.

Otherwise school age riding own bike, get baby a bike seat/ trailer

BackforGood Tue 20-Jan-15 13:55:05

There's not much you can do really, other than being very organised to get them to and from school every day, on time.

prh47bridge Tue 20-Jan-15 14:33:28

If it is over 3 miles by the shortest walking route and there are no places nearer home your children are entitled to free transport to and from school. Note that they do not have to provide free transport for you to accompany them.

redberries Tue 20-Jan-15 14:45:02

It takes me one hour 15 mins to walk it which is a bit long for them the youngest is 5, yes it over 3 miles the shortest walking route, I don't think the council provide transport anymore

PatriciaHolm Tue 20-Jan-15 14:51:29

They have a statutory duty to provide suitable transport in the circumstance outlined above. Note that this can be a free bus pass, and they won't provide a pass for you. However, if they have offered spaces at nearer schools and you have turned them down, then they don't have to provide the transport. Have they offered anything?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: