Advanced search

DD won't slow down. Rushes everything.

(6 Posts)
Theknitwitch Mon 19-Jan-15 12:27:55

Just that really. School says she's bright. But rushes all her work and often makes mistakes. Anyone have any suggestions on how to slow her down? Or why this is?

redskybynight Mon 19-Jan-15 12:49:50

Does she get an incentive for finishing quickly? (if so, take it away)

Otherwise, you could always go down the route of getting her to go back an check - this has the double purpose of establishing a good habit anyway, plus if she sees she makes loads of mistakes, she might be encouraged to stop making them in the first place!!

Theknitwitch Mon 19-Jan-15 13:02:42

No incentive. Just seems impatient to be finished with everything.

I've tried to explain about rushing and making mistakes and tried encouraging her to slow down but she seems determined to just finish everything quickly and move on to the next task. She's very competitive and I wonder if this might be linked?

BlueChampagne Mon 19-Jan-15 16:11:52

How old is she? DS1 (7) also tends to rush at things and make silly mistakes. I think self-editing, and in particular organising work, must be skills it takes a long time to develop though it seems so obvious as an adult!

BingBong36 Mon 19-Jan-15 16:13:35

My son is exactly the same. His teacher says he rushes and needs to slow down.

He also is VERY competitive and has to be first in everything so I really feel this is linked.

I am not sure how to help him apart from telling him he must check all if his work when finished.

I would also like and hope the teacher tells him to check over work when she sees that he has finished.

He is 6 and in year 1.

Theknitwitch Mon 19-Jan-15 19:43:52

She's 5.
Keeps getting messages from her teacher to slow down. But can't/wont. Really frustrating as I'm trying to help her, but not sure what else to do.
I guide her through her maths, reading and writing homework, but same problem in all areas.
Interesting that your son is competitive too, BingBong36.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now