Talk

Advanced search

Pictures in reading books

(5 Posts)
lunar1 Mon 19-Jan-15 11:13:24

Ds1 is currently on the Ginn pocket books at school. The last one we had didn't have many pictures in it and the ones it did were black and white. He Didn't want to read it when we started and complained that some pages didn't have any pictures at all.

He was fine when he actually started reading it and really got into the story. I'm just wondering if this is the end of colourful pictures in his reading books or is it just this set? He's about average in his class is guess and I think is on orange level.

nonicknameseemsavailable Mon 19-Jan-15 11:44:27

I am not hugely familiar with Ginn books, my daughters school used a mix of schemes and non scheme books so I can't say what the Ginn ones do at that level but certainly other schemes still have pictures in books, and in most cases colour pictures, up until level 9/10/11. Some books will be black and white ones and quite often by 10/11 they are starting to get fewer so not one on each page but certainly in my experience there are normally pictures for a while yet.

lunar1 Mon 19-Jan-15 13:54:39

Thank you nonickname, I'm glad he is not growing out of pictures already, he is growing up way to fast!

nonicknameseemsavailable Mon 19-Jan-15 14:04:20

for home reading you can try The Lighthouse Keeper books by Rhonda and David Armitage or Katie in the Art Gallery ones by James Mayhew, both have longer stories than a lot of picture books but they still have the colour illustrations.

noramum Mon 19-Jan-15 15:56:14

I don't know the Ginn books but I found that from this stage onwards lots of books only have b/w pictures.

Our rescue were the Usborne Young Reader books. Series 1 or 2 may be good for him for home. Starting to get him into chapters but still lots of pictures. A lot also comes with CDs which we then heard at quite time at home and in the car.

Not cheap but your library may have them and you can see what interest him.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: