Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Spelling for 10yo

(11 Posts)
MoltenBrownChocolate Fri 16-Jan-15 11:55:29

Ds has just done a spelling age assessment and has been told he has a spelling age of 8. He is 10 and in y5.
He is a keen reader (he reads to himself Famous Five, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson etc) which should help his spelling but hasn't.
How can I help him?

DropYourSword Fri 16-Jan-15 11:57:15

How is he doing in other subjects? Kids can't excel at everything, is he ahead in something else.

MoltenBrownChocolate Fri 16-Jan-15 12:08:57

He's pretty average all round. Set 2 out of 3 for maths and English. His reading age is 12

MoltenBrownChocolate Fri 16-Jan-15 13:52:09

Sorry I'm impatient. Does anyone have any advice please? Books, apps, activities, games?

benfoldsfive Fri 16-Jan-15 13:55:48

The thread just below this one is about a nine year old but has lots relevant of advice.

MoltenBrownChocolate Fri 16-Jan-15 14:14:12

Oh I don't know how I missed that. Thanks, I will look at some of the resources on there.
Learning weekly spellings isn't a problem, they just seem to go into a very short term memory and are forgotten as soon as the test has been marked.

mrz Fri 16-Jan-15 18:01:47

Being a good reader doesn't automatically translate into being a good speller. Spelling needs to be taught. Thinking about the sounds he can hear in words but also looking closely at how those sounds are represented in individual words. Looking at root words and meaning can provide clues to aid spelling.
Memorising lists of words for tests is probably the least effective long term strategy.

mrz Fri 16-Jan-15 18:02:29

Suggest looking at the Špelfabet site

Ferguson Fri 16-Jan-15 19:14:50

OP - besides just 'reading' words, it does help to look at them more closely to see WHY they are spelt the way they are, particularly if it is a word he hasn't met before. (That can be a bit boring, but might also be useful!)

If there are any particular things he has problems with, maybe try and concentrate on those.

(I STILL have trouble with double letters, and as a child, writing at school, words containing 'ie' or 'ei' I would handwrite the two letters to look the same, and put the 'dot' over the middle, so the teacher could take his choice!

But here is a book he will find REALLY useful:

An inexpensive and easy to use book, that can encourage children with reading, spelling and writing, and really help them to understand Phonics, is reviewed in the MN Book Reviews section. Just search ‘Phonics’.

MoltenBrownChocolate Fri 16-Jan-15 21:18:10

Thank you. Very interesting that reading and spelling don't go hand in hand, I was led to believe they did.
Spelfabet site looks good. I will also look up the MN book reviews.

MoltenBrownChocolate Fri 16-Jan-15 21:19:51

Also thanks for suggesting we look at the root and meaning of words. That makes sense!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: