Talk

Advanced search

DS1 did not get a place in football club

(8 Posts)
Minki Fri 16-Jan-15 00:14:20

DS1 (6 years) is in year 2 and did not get a place in the football club this term. He's going to be really upset as he has been in the same club since the first term of year 1 and it seems that all his friends from his class got places and he didn't so I have no idea how to explain this to him The school apparently don't have a policy on how they allocate places or at least they don't give you reasons although I have emailed the organiser to ask and am waiting to hear back. I applied (by email) for his place within 17 minutes of the email informing parents about the club going out so I don't think the place are allocated on a first come first served basis. His friends in his class who did get places have also been doing it since the first term of year 1 so it really does seem that DS1 is the only one to be excluded, although I think the club is oversubscribed so maybe it it just his turn to miss out. Not sure though on what basis he was selected. Does anyone know how schools allocate places in school run clubs? I am hoping they will at least give me an explanation so that I can explain to DS1. Very upsetting for him as well as he is quite a loner and took ages to integrate into his class and this club was really helping him form friendships and develop a love of football. Have tried other clubs and he refuses to go as he wants to play with his friends. Ridiculous but I am literally losing sleep over this!

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 16-Jan-15 07:52:48

When the club is over-subscribed names all in a hat and the first, however many out are in the club. The first time they don't get in it is hard.

ssd Fri 16-Jan-15 07:58:46

it is hard, but unfortunately its part of growing up

Bollywhat Fri 16-Jan-15 08:02:56

Is it run by the schhol or do they bring someone else in to do it?

Ours is paid for using pupil premium money so free school meals kids go first (as school has to show they are benefiting from the premium). Then kids who didn't get a place last term. Then first come first served.

ClaimedByMe Fri 16-Jan-15 08:13:16

That's hard for your DS and not how things are done in Scotland, the school club allows everyone to join, boys and girls, every child gets to train and they all get match time changing the team from match to match so everyone gets a fair chance, they also don't start playing until primary 5 age 9! There is a name for this initiative but I can't remember what it is called!

benfoldsfive Fri 16-Jan-15 08:31:37

Part of growing up. He has had a full term. It's someone else's turn now. Either he goes s omewhere else or he can't play.

PatriciaHolm Fri 16-Jan-15 09:34:44

If our clubs are oversubscribed, names go in a hat. It's just what has to happen; we had double the number of applications for one club than the club could handle, for example.

mrz Fri 16-Jan-15 18:10:42

Our football club is run by staff and parents so all welcome but clubs run by outside organisations tend to have a limit so work on first come basis as we don't use pupil premium money that is never a consideration.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: