Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Year 2 and spelling

(5 Posts)
Uglyiphone Thu 15-Jan-15 23:14:02

Hi, my year2 child is ok at school, lets say very good in maths and science but ok in english.
I have read that some of you gives their children spelling exercise and now i wonder if i should do as well (i never thought about giving him extra work: he gets his weekly homework! He does his reading, when heis bored he even does some maths worksheets).

Any suggestion please? Which kind of words should a year 2child be able to spell?

Mashabell Fri 16-Jan-15 07:10:00

Have a look at his writing assignments and see which ones he gets wrong. He may have a fantastic visual memory and just imprint them on his mind without trouble, so might not need to work at his spelling, beyond what he does at school and gets for homework.

As a general rule, in their free writing, children misspell mostly high frequency words with irregularly used letters in them (Any, mAny, sAId, frIend, Other, brOther, throUGH ...).

They need to use them, because they are high frequency. They misspell them because their spellings are irregular.

Because children vary enormously in their ability to cope with them, depending on the brain they were born with and how much they read, it's best to concentrate on the ones that cause your child problems.

feathers21 Fri 16-Jan-15 09:59:24

there is a book called '10 minutes spelling' from Carol Vordermon which is very good. it comes with a timer (could be fine for kids) . give it a try!

Ferguson Fri 16-Jan-15 19:27:54

Presumably he will be doing writing assignments in various ways - stories, 'recounts', 'book reviews' (maybe), describing things in science, history and geography.

So, hopefully teacher or TA will be correcting any serious spelling mistakes.

Spelling 'exercises' at home shouldn't be necessary, unless there are known weaknesses. (Some MNers do go OTT, which may not delight their offspring!)

But you will find this helpful:

An inexpensive and easy to use book, that can encourage children with reading, spelling and writing, and really help them to understand Phonics, is reviewed in the MN Book Reviews section. Just search ‘Phonics’.

Greencurtain Fri 16-Jan-15 19:30:18

My year 2 child gets a list of spellings each week from school. Does your ds not? If not, I'd just google for some suggestions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: