Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Reading at home - Y2

(23 Posts)
desperatedino Thu 15-Jan-15 17:25:48

My DS is in year 2 and is a good reader, just recently the school have said they need to read their school books twice before they can be changed. Some of these books can be very long and a bit monotonous.

Does anyone else's school do this?

lljkk Thu 15-Jan-15 17:29:28

Not at DC school but lots of MNers say same as you.

I wonder if I would ask my child to read the book backwards, substitute "toilet" for the main character's name, or some other gimmick to tick school's boxes but keep us amused.

tobysmum77 Thu 15-Jan-15 17:33:35

thankfully not. Once they can read fluently I really dont see the point in reading books twice.

mrz Thu 15-Jan-15 17:52:01

Are the school focusing on understanding?

mrz Thu 15-Jan-15 17:53:01

I hate this iPad!

Are the school staff focusing on understanding?

desperatedino Thu 15-Jan-15 17:55:05

Must be mrz. We don't whizz through them like some do. Good idea for changing some of the words. He finds reading really boring prefers comics and annuals.

Leeds2 Thu 15-Jan-15 18:11:21

My DD never had to do that.

mrz Thu 15-Jan-15 18:28:27

I can't think of any other reasonable reason to ask children to read longer texts twice of course it could simply be that the school don't have sufficient books for more fluent readers.

desperatedino Thu 15-Jan-15 18:36:55

Yes quite often he gets the same book twice. First time they have done this in ten years of being at the school. angry

MrsKCastle Thu 15-Jan-15 18:39:08

Madness. DD1 is also Y2 and the school aren't bothered about whether she's reading the school books at all- as long as she's reading something. She chooses from her own bookshelf or from the library.

(Obviously if the teacher had carefully selected a book to suit DD's needs, I would ensure she read it- but that's not the case).

Ferguson Thu 15-Jan-15 19:16:35

If it is a long book, then just read it once provided he understands most of it.

If there were bits he struggled with, or particularly enjoyed, maybe go over those bits again, otherwise just read it the once.

GoogleyEyes Thu 15-Jan-15 19:39:24

You may be getting the generic advice, and it may not apply to your ds. It might be worth a quick check with his teacher.

I had a similar issue (instructions to write all books read in Reading Record) which I really didn't want to do as dd is a voracious reader and it would be quite a task keeping track. Her teacher said it wasn't aimed at dd, and just to ignore it, so it was worth checking.

desperatedino Thu 15-Jan-15 19:46:51

Yes we might just quickly go over it, it is one of them play book things as well so even more tedious.

Googley there is a note stuck at the front of the reading diary so I think it applies to everybody.

nonicknameseemsavailable Thu 15-Jan-15 20:05:52

I suppose it depends what level the book is but really it sounds ridiculous to me.

I would have thought if a child can't grasp the understanding on the first read then surely the school should be looking at the level of the book?

I remember them saying this with the lowest few levels in R and for some children in Yr1 (the Yr1 ones were really either struggling or EAL and on the lower levels - the EAL on higher levels didn't) but my daughters were never told to do it so that would have been from level 4.

I would be inclined to be creative with the truth unless there has been a sign of struggling with any bit of it.

WillBeatJanuaryBlues Fri 16-Jan-15 15:50:55

Op I dont care what schools says I would never ever force my dd to read the book twice....

But she doesn't need too, and I don't care what teacher says shock ( we are not asked to BTW).

I find the school books, apart from the ones that are about real people/events very boring as does DD and at this age - keeping learning flame alive and enthusiastic is key for me.

If my child could read and read well and found this boring, there is no way I would force them to read.

mrz Fri 16-Jan-15 16:37:39

Often even fluent adult readers have to read texts more than once to fully comprehend what they are reading. It's about moving from the basic recall to deeper understanding.

WillBeatJanuaryBlues Fri 16-Jan-15 18:30:59

Very true, are you able to gage this op?

Is your son repeating words he doesnt know meaning of.

With DD we have very clear idea of what she understands and comprehends. Therefore we wouldn't make her do this at the level of books she gets at school is far more basic than her own reading at home

nonicknameseemsavailable Fri 16-Jan-15 21:21:04

but mrz wouldn't that be more a case of recapping a paragraph rather than a whole book? mind I suppose it depends on the length of the book but once they get over 100 pages they surely can't be expected to read it more than once.

mrz Sat 17-Jan-15 08:32:07

Research actually shows that reading a text at least three times improves comprehension. Personally I wouldn't ask a Y2 child to do this.

Mashabell Sat 17-Jan-15 10:57:19

I was once told at a lecture that we remember
5% of what we hear
10% of what we read and
90% of what we teach or explain to someone.

So a text that contains useful information is worth reading more than once.
Not so sure about texts written just for learning to read.
Might having to reread them not turn children off reading rather than engaging them?

CecilyP Sat 17-Jan-15 11:14:18

Seems crazy, unless he really struggled through it the first time. However, if he struggled the first time, he should be on something easier anyway. Sounds really boring and destined to put someone off reading. Llykk's suggestion might be amusing for a once off, but the humour would wear thin pretty quickly.

If you don't understand something in a text, you would normally go over the part you don't understand, rather than start at the beginning again and going through the whole thing. It is often interesting to re-read books after many years as you bring more of your own life experience to the understanding of the narrative, but re-reading a book you have only just finished it seems pointless.

mrz Sat 17-Jan-15 16:59:58

"The 'you remember 10%' myth was pulled apart by Dr Will Thalheimer in May 2006, when he exhaustively detailed how the myth was created." the figures apparently originate from Mobile Oil 1967

desperatedino Mon 19-Jan-15 10:15:25

Well we went over the book again and just discussed some pages. He is on white band books at the moment and some can be long.

I think I will speak to the teacher and tell her I find it unnecessary to read it twice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: