Advanced search

Mr Thorne does phonics

(7 Posts)
Haribotangfastic Thu 15-Jan-15 17:25:46

I've seen the iPad app Mr Thorne does phonics recommended on mumsnet but there seem to be a lot of different ones including some bundles. I was mainly looking for DS3 who's 4 and in reception but I also have a DS who is 11 and currently in year 6 (might not be relevant but some of the bundles seem aimed at older children).

Can anyone let me know which they have and if they find them useful. Thanks

mrz Thu 15-Jan-15 17:55:12

If you want a good app for a 4 year old I would suggest looking at the Sounds Write initial code app (first units free) rather than Mr Thorne

Haribotangfastic Thu 15-Jan-15 18:28:22

Thanks mrz I downloaded that one earlier today from your recommendation on an earlier thread

ArabellaRockerfella Thu 15-Jan-15 20:05:29

The Jolly Phonics one is a good starter app.

CarlBowes Sun 18-Jan-15 11:30:20

Mr Thorne's Phonics Myths and Legends is good for older learners ... lots of grisly characters ideal for boys who are learning to read! His videos apps are on Youtube for free ...

Ferguson Mon 19-Jan-15 18:47:58

And good support of Phonics, for any age, is:

An inexpensive and easy to use book, that can encourage children with reading, spelling and writing, and really help them to understand Phonics, is reviewed in the MN Book Reviews section. Just search ‘Phonics’.

ThisOneAndThatOne Tue 20-Jan-15 08:52:04

We love Mr Thorne in our house and have all the apps.

The spelling ones are good fun and my DC really enjoy collecting the little rewards you get with each completed section.

The maths ones are also really good for mental maths.

My eldest DS is 7, so I don't have experience with older kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now