Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Day before 7 plus

(10 Posts)
Itreallyistimetochangething Thu 15-Jan-15 15:03:36

I am really nervous now as I am thinking whether I may have made the wrong decision to enter dd. Just found out another child in her class is going for test and she is super, super bright and middle class etc. My dd is very bright but not as this child. We just don't have the money to tutor so have only been using bond books and other activities. I am very anxious now. Is anyone else feeling like this?

Summersunandflowers Thu 15-Jan-15 20:27:12

Hi Itreallyistime, feel exactly the same. Felt confident as dd worked hard and seemed to have made good progress. She just got her first rejection and our fav, super competitive school has their 7+ on Sat. Feel she has no chance against the prep school students. Also feel like withdrawing her! She is quite a sensitive soul! Hope it all works out for you x

CastlesInTheSand Thu 15-Jan-15 21:12:16

If you don't have money to tutor how will you afford the fees?

Good luck to your DD.

Brightideas Fri 16-Jan-15 07:52:39

Saw your post re 7+
Good luck today. I'm a tutor and want to reassure you that even with the most fantastic tuition, a child who's not as bright just won't make the necessary progress.
Hope yours gets in!

wandymum Fri 16-Jan-15 11:34:45

Same here. Last 7+ today but from what DS has said previous ones don't seem to have gone well. He's bright but I'm not sure he is mature enough for such formal tests yet - tends to daydream instead of getting on with it. The problem is he has loved the schools he visited and is totally convinced he'll be going to one of them. I'm dreading having to tell him the bad news if, as expected, that isn't the case.

wandymum Fri 16-Jan-15 11:37:42

Same here. Last 7+ today but from what DS has said previous ones don't seem to have gone well. He's bright but I'm not sure he is mature enough for such formal tests yet - tends to daydream instead of getting on with it. The problem is he has loved the schools he visited and is totally convinced he'll be going to one of them. I'm dreading having to tell him the bad news if, as expected, that isn't the case.

Thebridekiddo Fri 16-Jan-15 11:40:20

Hi,

Yes I'm in the same boat. I'm regretting having put my DS through this process. I don't think he's done too well. Any tips on how to break the news to DS when the results are out?

wandymum Fri 16-Jan-15 11:46:18

We've tried to downplay the whole thing to DS and told him it's all been about him checking out the schools and them choosing children who are the best fit rather than the cleverest.

Not sure he's falling for it though. After the last set of tests he told me he was sorry as he knew he hadn't passed because he couldn't do one of the maths questions. I felt so guilty.

All his best friends from school have been doing the same tests and I'm dreading how he'll feel if they get through and he doesn't.

My DD is just a year behind but there is no way I'm putting her through it next year - which of course, I also feel guilty about but she is so young for her year and I know she won't be able to cope with it.

Itreallyistimetochangething Fri 16-Jan-15 12:05:31

Yes I sat there this morning thinking why am I doing this - I know why - but I felt physically sick - she was just her usual chirpy bubbly self - what I said was just the fact that you are sitting there with the pen in your hand is enough - and brave of you to get this far as it's not an easy thing to do. And I know that you will try your best. But the last 2 days have been awful for me. I was so rational before then. Good Luck everyone x

ApplesAreNotTheOnlyJam Fri 16-Jan-15 12:14:15

Surely at this age any school worth their salt will include some kind of 'correction' for previous background?

We never did the tests - but DS practiced some past papers (for fun - strange boy) - and there was a major gap in the style of English composition he was expected to do versus the level at his present school. But that obviously says nothing about his aptitude for English.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: