Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Small Catchment Schools

(15 Posts)
bigdigger Wed 14-Jan-15 11:48:37

There are a number of schools around that have catchments under 200m

Given that probably every entry into these schools is based on parents 'playing the game', is it morally wrong to follow suit too?!

I don't subscribe to this moral code, it is fairly repugnant, however given that everyone does it, surely the only child who was denied a place, is a child who's parents 'played that game' and lost?

Don't shout at me for asking!! It is just a question of ethics, I am not going to play the game myself! Even if I wanted to, it is too risky!

And don't lambaste me for referring it as a game! I only refer to it as such in the few instances where almost all entries are based on this behaviour!

toomanywheeliebins Wed 14-Jan-15 11:54:11

Not sure I understand what you mean by 'playing the game'

bigdigger Wed 14-Jan-15 11:57:10

Apologies, should have been clear on that,

it means temporarily renting next to the school to get a place.

toomanywheeliebins Wed 14-Jan-15 12:05:06

I know no-one who has done that. In London, tiny catchments

nlondondad Wed 14-Jan-15 12:51:16

It certainly happens - renting for a short while to get a place - the give a way is where you have a school with a very small admission radius (most being admitted are siblings) where despite the fact that most parents ought to be living within 200 metres the road traffic at drop off is tremendous.

Documented case

Eleanor Palmer School, Camden, Last year.

RueDeWakening Wed 14-Jan-15 12:52:01

The school my kids are at has a catchment of, typically, c180m. Nobody "plays the game", there are sufficient siblings and children living within that distance to fill the places every year. And virtually no rental properties within that, either.

Just because there is a very small catchment doesn't mean that people have cheated the system to get their kids in.

prh47bridge Wed 14-Jan-15 13:00:00

it means temporarily renting next to the school to get a place

Most councils are wise to this and will ensure that parents can't get a place this way. Note that if anyone does manage to get a place like this they can have the place taken away even after their child has started school.

Note that in the case cited by nlondondad at least one place was withdrawn and Camden has now tightened up its admissions arrangements to prevent any repetition.

footallsock Wed 14-Jan-15 13:04:10

Plenty do near us - move within 0.3 miles while the first child tiny then move a bit further out once they are in school. Many can still walk to school, but would not have got in on distance. Some rent, some but then sell 2 years later as houses that close sell within a week or two. Not many short term rent, but I know two who did. They were in cheap rented further away, rented close by once tenancy ended, got place then moved further away again.

footallsock Wed 14-Jan-15 13:10:29

Actually I know 3 - so at least one per class that I know as they are friends from nursery

bigdigger Wed 14-Jan-15 13:43:49

Thanks for the comments. All interesting.

Where is the line though?!: a few scenarios

Renting a one bed flat in the catchment area while living elsewhere
Renting a three bed house in the catchment area while owning another property moving in for the applications date and move back as soon as the place is secured.
Renting a two bed tiny flat in the catchment area, secure the place then look for another property as close to the school as you can find/afford.
Renting a three bed house in the catchment area while owning another property that you rent out, the intention being to stay in the rented accommodation through the time at the school
Moving into the catchment area a month before the application process every intention to stay there through the time at the school
Lived in the catchment area since first child was born.

footallsock Wed 14-Jan-15 13:46:11

One and two are cheating

bigdigger Wed 14-Jan-15 13:51:34

I agree, anyone else?

meditrina Wed 14-Jan-15 13:59:38

Several of those are problematic.

And remember, it's up to your LEA to decide.

Some addresses are blacklisted and anyone applying from there will be scrutinised. If you have left a 3 bedroom rental to squeeze in to a tiny 2bed just in time for the applications deadline, then the LEA may well reject that application. It will than be up to you to prove why it is genuine (difficult to do if it's not).

Renting whilst owning is also likely to be scrutinised. If you own a house in Wigan, but are renting a similar property whilst working in Redhill it'll be easy to demonstrate that it is genuine. If the two properties are in the same town, expect difficulties.

tiggytape Wed 14-Jan-15 16:33:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tiggytape Wed 14-Jan-15 16:43:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: