Talk

Advanced search

Sharing Awards/Certificates from after school activities at school

(19 Posts)
Thesingingmermaid Sun 11-Jan-15 15:15:42

Do your children do this?

How do people feel about children sharing after school awards at school. Will all the teachers be eye-rolling and think it is boasting.

My ds would like to share a certificate he received this week. It is relatively impressive (well I think!) and he is very proud.

Gumps Sun 11-Jan-15 15:17:38

Absolutely share it. Our school has show and tell for this reason and very special things are shown in assembly.
Well done to you ds!

spanieleyes Sun 11-Jan-15 15:19:57

We have family assembly on Friday, all parents are welcome and the children show certificates and awards they have earned both in school and outside-we get Blue Peter badges, letters from the Queen, karate certificates, cups from cart racing, the lot!!

KatieKaye Sun 11-Jan-15 15:24:18

I'm not sure what you mean by "sharing"?

I'd say that wanting to tell his friends is normal. Not sure about anything more than that. I'd be guided by the school culture, so if brownie/cub badges, sporting/musical awards get announced at assembley, then fair enough. My school reserved announcements for those who were getting capped for national teams and Oxbridge exhibitions.

meglet Sun 11-Jan-15 15:27:20

they do it every week at our school. I was dead impressed when ds's friend won a blue Peter badge. DS will be dead chuffed when he gets his parkrun 10 t-shirt so he'll take that in.

but then again I feel sorry for the kids who won't ever get to share awards because they don't do out of school activities.

spanieleyes Sun 11-Jan-15 15:27:21

Not many Oxbridge exhibitions announced in primary schools!

BackforGood Sun 11-Jan-15 15:31:00

Do you mean taking in a certificate from Cubs or Football or music lesson or something ?
Depends on the school - many schools have a special 'Celebration Assembly' specifically for this purpose. It's lovely to hear of all the things dc get up to outside of school.
If there isn't this culture in the school, then that would be different, I suppose, but I don't know well, any (Primary) schools that don't have some kind of forum for this sharing of good news.

KatieKaye Sun 11-Jan-15 15:32:39

OP did not state age of child or if it was primary or secondary, spaniel. Best not to make assumptions. And my school had p6 and 7 in the same assemblies as senior school anyway.

BackforGood Sun 11-Jan-15 15:37:16

Well, the fact the thread is in Primary Education could be a clue... wink

Thesingingmermaid Sun 11-Jan-15 15:49:17

Thank you for your answers - he is only 7. He will take it in to show tomorrow. I want him to be proud but am also conscious how people feel about boasting/competitiveness.

Also as meglet said I feel sorry for the children that don't get the opportunities to do out of school activities.

Obviously overthinking all of this - but isn't that what mumsnet is for.

spanieleyes Sun 11-Jan-15 15:52:37

If your school doesn't have a "bring in a certificate for Assembly" culture, they might have show and tell in class, we have both (and I teach Year 6-they are never too old!!)

TeenAndTween Sun 11-Jan-15 16:10:13

If DD2 gets a certificate out of school I absolutely encourage her to take it in for show and tell, and also to show the HT. She finds all school hard: academic, art, sport. So a certificate showing she swam 1 mile is a massive thing for her.

Leeds2 Sun 11-Jan-15 16:57:02

At my DD's primary children were encouraged to take in swimming certificates, karate gradings, music exam results etc which were read out and the child went up to receive their certificate from the Head.

I wouldn't send it in if this wan't the norm though!

JennyBlueWren Sun 11-Jan-15 17:24:59

Send it in! It's great to share achievements outside of school. But don't send something every week -that's stretching towards boasting!

noramum Sun 11-Jan-15 17:56:52

In Infant they had a "Good News Assembly" each Friday and were encouraged to bring all certificates.

In juniors they try to limit it to major ones otherwise it would get to chaotic.

TheTroubleWithAngels Sun 11-Jan-15 18:27:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hakluyt Sun 11-Jan-15 18:30:41

"My school reserved announcements for those who were getting capped for national teams and Oxbridge exhibitions"

I don't think even on Mumsnet many children are doing that in Primary school.........

MrsCakesPrecognition Sun 11-Jan-15 18:38:07

My DCs school puts this sort of stuff in the school newsletter, if the parents send an email.

dixiechick1975 Sun 11-Jan-15 18:44:17

Child takes in certificate/medal and it is presented at the end of the friday assembly which parents can attend.

Nice to see what the children have been up to - usually mainly swimming and football certificates.

Some have brought in library summer reading challenge so not always paid for activities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now