Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Level Writing, Very Pretty Please.....( flutter eyelashes)

(17 Posts)
FeedTheBirdsTuppenceABag Sun 11-Jan-15 12:29:55

My DD is last year of levels ( year 2 age 7) and I know they are going BUT my DD has hated writing and still does and all teacher say need to get her writing.

Her reading is excellent BTW. This is first ever piece she has written and as I only just understand levels more now...can someone give me rough ideas what they think this is: ( spelling and grammar as true as I can get it)

A flower from the Underworld.

Once upon a time there was a Botanical artist called Margret Mee. She had pale pink skin and wild blond hair. Now Margret was on an adventure in the Jungle to find the magical flower from the underworld.

One day when Margret was on her travels she found an injured fox. She has to help it but as soon as she appoached it it suddenly turned into a huge dark green plant.

Now Magret had powers. So she reached one brave hand into sky. A sword apeared in her hand glistening in the sun. She kills the plant and finds the flower.

AsBrightAsAJewel Sun 11-Jan-15 12:57:30

It is impossible to award a level to a child on a single short piece of writing. We level the writer not the writing.

That said, the piece here, if it is indicative of her work across genres, shows she is well on track for 2a+ by the end of the year. It is well punctuated, has adjectives and conjunctions, uses capitals for proper nouns, is starting to use paragraphs. The ending is a bit abrupt, how long did it take and did she get tired/fed up and decide to end it quickly? Does she find the mechanics of writing hard? Lots of children have great ideas, but the getting it in paper exhausts them so they take the easy option.

As a teacher, I would target a meatier middle adventure bit of the story. We are doing lots of work on story maps and boxing up (google Talk for Writing) to target just that in my class at the moment.

FeedTheBirdsTuppenceABag Sun 11-Jan-15 13:11:45

The ending is a bit abrupt, how long did it take and did she get tired/fed up and decide to end it quickly?

This is teachers main complaint she doesn't write enough, they like what she does do, but its too short. Everything else she is on track for level 3, she was 2a/b/c in most things end of year 1.

So this is very weak in comparison it seems.

FeedTheBirdsTuppenceABag Sun 11-Jan-15 13:14:03

* Does she find the mechanics of writing hard?

Physically perhaps, although her writing has speed-ed up now and has lovely handwriting. Graps spelling with natural aptitude and grammar as well....but just seems to have no interest in it.

Not sure if I should leave it...and let develop or if things I can do to help. Have tried story books/ story dice etc.

AsBrightAsAJewel Sun 11-Jan-15 13:40:44

No, I wouldn't say* very* weak in comparison. Maybe not as strong as her reading. You say she was 2a/b/c in most things - a-c has a big gap in requirements for each subject. What was her end of year one level in writing?

Don't get too worried about it, work on strengthening hands so the process is not so arduous, and maybe writing stamina work occasionally. Is there any reason you want her to be a level 3 across all subjects or would a comfortable 2a in writing, that develops into more when she builds up the stamina to write longer pieces that evidence her skills more fully be OK?

FeedTheBirdsTuppenceABag Sun 11-Jan-15 13:46:30

Is there any reason you want her to be a level 3 across all subjects or would a comfortable 2a in writing
Thanks for your in put Bright...smile

No not really I just don't want her falling behind. This is the only weak area thus far.

Her writing was 2c. reading 2b. speaking and listening 2c.

AsBrightAsAJewel Sun 11-Jan-15 14:10:02

I asked as I wondered if she needed particular levels for entrance. It is all a case of perspective; she also left year one at a 2c for speaking and listening and you don't see that as a problem; a 2c at the end of year 1 is expected or even above expected level (depending on the LAs take on levels and progress). Assuming she makes expected progress she will achieve a 2a or a level 3, both of which are above the expected level at the end of year 2. I wonder if it may be a case of high reading is making you worry about the writing?

As a teacher it also makes me wonder if comments I am saying to parents about what there child needs to work on to really fulfil their potential makes them worry. We tell parent things like that to be open about next steps and what we, as a team with the parents, need to work on. Not to flag up a child is weak.

You sound a super and supportive mum, who wants the best for your child. The issue of levels can be a minefield and in writing can become very subjective if adults are not careful. Keep all those rich reading experiences going to embed great ideas and vocabulary and keep an eye on the writing stamina, it often sorts itself out as they mature, but in case not you will be alert.

FeedTheBirdsTuppenceABag Sun 11-Jan-15 19:19:44

it often sorts itself out as they mature, but in case not you will be alert

Thank you - this is what I feel will happen, I was interested to know what someone would think that writing was....

I am very aware of falling behind, as it was of course my experience at school I was totally left behind until moved, so I am keen to make sure - she is doing OK generally.

If I had a good grasp of levels I wouldnt ask...but its all confusing.

thanks for the clarification

FeedTheBirdsTuppenceABag Sun 11-Jan-15 20:19:49

* she also left year one at a 2c for speaking and listening and you don't see that as a problem

Missed this sorry, yes ....re same level no...no not worried as they said she is good at this and is good listener.

On writing front however different teachers have flagged up to me she doesnt write enough, and needs to work on it and I know with HW she hates writing..

NumptyNu Sun 11-Jan-15 23:12:44

That's pretty good spelling for Y2 isn't it? Did she spell approached and injured without any help?

FeedTheBirdsTuppenceABag Mon 12-Jan-15 09:53:19

Numpty she is a fab speller, but she has spelt approached wrong.

I cannot spell if my life depended non it

Galena Mon 12-Jan-15 11:24:19

See, I would be concerned with this being a 2a... her tenses are not consistent (she has to help it... as she approached it). Yes, there is use of exciting vocabulary, but I would be tending more towards a 2b...

AsBrightAsAJewel Mon 12-Jan-15 17:55:23

I am not saying she is a 2a Galena. I’m saying she is on track for a 2a+ by the end of the year (assuming she makes “expected” progress).

Galena Tue 13-Jan-15 16:52:58

<rereads thread>

So you did, I'm sorry. blush

AsBrightAsAJewel Tue 13-Jan-15 19:54:08

That's OK Galena, I just didn't want anyone else to be confused. Levelling causes enough debate and frustration!

FeedTheBirdsTuppenceABag Wed 14-Jan-15 14:14:13

Galena and AsBright, thank you both for some feedback.

Its enormously helpful and I didn't even notice the tenses! I understand and have seen many a debate on leveling on here as what each piece may be...

But its still very helpful. thanks

BTW would the next grade after a 2a+ be a 3c?

Violettatrump Thu 15-Jan-15 22:16:00

My DS in year 2 wrote next to nothing and it was mentioned constantly! By the end of the year he scraped a level 3, I don't know how! In juniors his writing took off as he was more engaged. He sat his year 6 sats a couple of years ago and got a level 6. What I'm trying to say is that as long as he enjoys reading and likes to read a lot, that interest will spill out on to paper in the end. It might take time though as infant writing has a lot to do with fine motor skills.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: