Talk

Advanced search

Learning outcomes end of Reception?

(12 Posts)
Kat1973 Sat 10-Jan-15 18:34:20

Hi, Could anyone please point me in the right direction of a definitive list of objectives/outcomes that my child should achieve by the end of reception year? Also, any details on how these are assessed and graded.

Sorry if this is already on here! Many thanks.

mrz Sat 10-Jan-15 18:40:09

www.foundationyear.org.uj
Assessment is by ongoing observation

Ferguson Sat 10-Jan-15 19:36:10

It looks like 'mrz' link got corrupted.

This may be better, but there is a lot of it to wade through!

www.foundationyears.org.uk/

Ferguson Sat 10-Jan-15 19:42:19

This is probably the area you need to look at.

Let me know if you need more help.

www.foundationyears.org.uk/eyfs-statutory-framework/

mrz Sat 10-Jan-15 19:43:50

Sorry about that
Click on resources and the EYFS framework is the first item

AppleRings Sat 10-Jan-15 20:05:02

www.foundationyears.org.uk/files/2012/03/Development-Matters-FINAL-PRINT-AMENDED.pdf This is a useful document too

Ferguson Sat 10-Jan-15 20:06:34

Hi - I was a TA / helper in primary schools for about twenty-five years.

Now retired, I offer help and encouragement when I can via MN.

I have looked at some of your earlier concerns, about nursery, starting school etc. As someone else suggested, you do seem rather over-anxious, and this could well be transmitting to your child. Like the parent who takes a child to the dentist for the first time and reassuringly says: "It won't HURT!".

So where have you got to now? And how is he (and you) getting on?

Kat1973 Sun 11-Jan-15 19:44:50

Many thanks for this info. Much appreciated.

Ferguson... Thank you for your efforts. I was slightly taken aback by your assumptions about me though! What I write (hardly prolific ...about 3 posts in all) is not what I discuss in front of my son, they were very real concerns. It'd take too long to go through the current situation but in summary he's just started part time and as I also have an education background the things I've witnessed in the classroom/staff room form the basis of some of my concerns. Well that and the education system generally! Thanks for your interest. smile

MMmomKK Mon 12-Jan-15 00:48:35

Kat - since your son just started YR, and is only going part time, I am not sure that the outcomes for the year are relevant. No one would expect a Jan.start summer born part-time child and a full-time Sept. born child to achieve the same by the end of the year.

Surely you know that. It sounds like you are not quite happy with the school. Can it be that it's still early days? Both for your child and you?

My DD2 started YR this year in a new school. It took us all a while, and in her class there were a couple of kids that took a while to settle and let go of their mom's hand in the morning.

Kat1973 Mon 12-Jan-15 12:59:47

MMmomK I'm a mum wanting to support my child's learning at home so I think they are relevant (if the school work from these guidelines how can they not be?!) and even if they aren't there is no harm in being familiar with them. Whether or not the expectations on him are less there is no reason why he should be behind everyone else either...after all not all learning takes place at school. wink

MMmomKK Mon 12-Jan-15 22:34:22

As far as I observed, the main focus of Reception in state schools is to get kids settled and socialized in a school environment. They have a lot of free play, and learning is not too structured. And, I do believe it's best at that age, as the kids in this country start schools way too young... The pace of learning picks up in Y1.

(the reason I specified state vs. private school is that boy's prep schools, for example, need to get the kids ready for exams at 6-7yo, so they can't afford to start slow. their end of year outcomes would be drastically different)

Of course, your child will not be "behind" everyone else by the end of Reception. I don't think there is a performance targets at that stage. When you get his end of year report - it will be mostly verbal description of teacher's observations. There might be words like "emerging" or "exceeding" used for some skills, but that's it.

If it's supporting his learning at home that you are after - then all kinds of activities that will help with learning phonics are helpful. I believe ORT 3-4 is about the average level at the end of Reception. In math you can help him get comfortable with numbers up to 20. Simple addition and subtractions, word problems, doubling and halving. Also - helping with practicing writing.

And finally, getting used to school is has a lot to do with learning to make and getting comfortable with new friends. Coming in mid year can be a bit daunting for a little one. Playdates can help with that.

mrz Wed 14-Jan-15 18:53:07

The Prime areas of learning are Personal, Social and Emotional Dev, Language for Communication and Physical development

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: