Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know of some good homework resources for KS1?

(9 Posts)
GoogleyEyes Sat 10-Jan-15 13:34:56

So, homework this week was find out five facts about a country my Y2 dd is studying. I had a look at the BBC (lots of videos), googled various other resources (mostly worksheets and colouring in) and eventually found one site about that particular continent which was ok but needed quite a lot of translation (I had to explain what 'colony' meant, and generally point her at the right paragraphs). I also had to explain about not clicking on flashing adverts

Is there a website which is accurate, aimed at upper KS1 / early KS2 (kids who can read but can't scan lots of text and who need lots of concepts explaining) and which has British English spellings?

PS I found the library didn't have much either, and what it did have was rather out of date.

BlueChampagne Sat 10-Jan-15 22:41:11

Any particular topic?

jetSTAR Sat 10-Jan-15 22:44:18

National geographic kids maybe?

BlueChampagne Sat 10-Jan-15 23:18:27

Primaryfacts.com

GoogleyEyes Sun 11-Jan-15 09:15:07

This week's topic was Africa, but I was hoping to find one site that was like an encyclopaedia, with a little bit about everything, as dd1 will find that easier to use independently.

I'll have a look at primaryfacts.com right now, thanks!

GoogleyEyes Sun 11-Jan-15 09:21:36

National Geographic kids seems to have very little (searching for Africa brought up only two pages of results, which is weird), but I'm definitely bookmarking it as it had lots of interesting stuff on volcanoes, oceans etc. Thanks!

PastSellByDate Sun 11-Jan-15 10:10:36

Hi GoogleEyes:

I also tried searching the web for countries in Africa after you posted - and agree there isn't 'one site'/ a one stop shop for this kind of homework support.

I think your solutions made sense - and I fear sometimes with homework like this you do have to help - I tend to control the computer (thus quickly leaving dodgy pages) but let DDs (when quite young) decide what they find interesting.

One trick we've learned over the years which DD2 (currently Y5) now uses for find 10 facts about a place - is to look up things that interest her:

What animals?
What rivers?
What volcanoes?
What lakes?
What mountains?
What language spoken?
What does their flag look like?
What population?
What does ordinary housing look like?
What famous places to visit there?
etc....

In terms of good websites for KS1:

My list would include:

Woodlands junior school resources: resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/ - which does have quite a bit of homework help.

BBC Bitesize KS1: www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks1/

Crickweb: www.crickweb.co.uk/Key-Stage-1.html - scroll to Key Stage 1 & then select subject area

Primary Resources: www.primaryresources.co.uk/ - I use this for extra practice or to find worksheets to help explain how to do something (e.g. converting mm or cm to metres & visa versa). The resources have numbers behind which relate to either school year or key stage - it takes a bit of exploring - but often there is something useful there.

----------

Some commercial websites for kids (which have free access)

National Geographic Kids: kids.nationalgeographic.com/ - but unfortunately nothing here about individual countries - which is a shame as they could easily do something for kids.

Discovery Channel Kids: discoverykids.com/

BBC Bitesize KS1 (new version): www.bbc.co.uk/education/levels/z3g4d2p - so under geography/ people & places/ Africa - there are a few pages of short educational videos for various countries - www.bbc.co.uk/education/topics/zbfycdm

-------------------------------------
Some Museums have great websites:

Natural History Museum Kids: www.nhm.ac.uk/kids-only/

British Museum (with Khan Academy): https://www.khanacademy.org/partner-content/british-museum - again probably better for KS2 upwards.

Science Museum: www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/online_science.aspx - but not necessarly for very young kids.

---------------------------
Found a few things by typing facts about countries KS1:

Science Kids (a New Zealand website) does have a fun facts for countries page: www.sciencekids.co.nz/sciencefacts/countries.html

Kids world travel guide (only a selection of countries though): www.kids-world-travel-guide.com/

however not a huge list of African countries.

------------------------------

So all in all - if this homework was find 10 facts on Mali or Ghana - I think you did have to help. But there are some resources out there so that next time if it's about Roman Britain - it may be easier.

HTH

Moleyjay Sun 11-Jan-15 10:15:16

For this type of Homework, 'facts about a country' the book Maps would be perfect. Check it out on Amazon. Absolutely love this book and can't recommend it highly enough!

GoogleyEyes Sun 11-Jan-15 17:55:18

PSBD Thank you, that is very comprehensive. I will go through your list and see what works on the iPad (no working laptop at the moment sad ).

Moleyjay I'll have a look, but our bookshelves have overflowed very badly...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now