Talk

Advanced search

School camp and authorising absence in its place

(12 Posts)
lookout Wed 07-Jan-15 22:13:13

If ds didn't want to go on a one night school camp, and if he therefore remained at school and would be put into the preceding year group for 2 days, do you think his absence would be authorised if I were to take him on some educational/cultural trips instead?

PumpkinRain Wed 07-Jan-15 22:19:00

No it would be unauthorised.

caravanista13 Wed 07-Jan-15 22:26:24

Definitely unauthorised. If he chooses not to go on the trip he will be expected to be in school. Imagine if everyone choose to have a couple of extra days' holiday instead!

18yearstooold Wed 07-Jan-15 22:31:37

Generally there will be some provision in school that is both fun and educational for the ones that don't go (usually more than one)

Last year ours designed biscuits, costed them out and how much they could be sold for, made them, advertised them with posters and a TV ad, sold them and researched a charity to give the money to

UniS Wed 07-Jan-15 22:52:01

Its going to depend on the school. DS has refused to go on two school trips to experience something he does not want to and I am OK about him not doing this thing with school.
The first time it happened he was set work with a younger year and I applied to take him out early so we could visit an illuminated garden at dusk. Permission granted. The second time ( 2 years later) We said he wasn't going and I was asked by his class teacher if I wanted to keep him home that day or send him in and have work set.....

He went in and worked on a project about something he really likes.

YonicSleighdriver Wed 07-Jan-15 22:53:17

No, it wouldn't be authorised.

lookout Wed 07-Jan-15 23:26:55

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like it might be worth a shot anyway, if it depends on the school. And fwiw, it's not 'extra days' holiday', it's making it as beneficial for him as it would be for those on the camp. I don't see why he should be penalised (doing younger year group's work) because he doesn't want to spend another night away from home. But thanks for your opinions, all the same smile

YonicSleighdriver Thu 08-Jan-15 08:45:51

He should be given work for his own year or something fun and educational, not just last year's work again, even if sitting with those children.

NoLongerJustAShopGirl Thu 08-Jan-15 08:48:28

He would be put with the younger class, but with work for his own year/ability - so not "penalised" at all.

PolterGoose Fri 09-Jan-15 16:03:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Fri 09-Jan-15 16:10:32

How close is the camp? Could you bring him home to sleep but send him with the class to do the two days activities?

lookout Sat 10-Jan-15 23:19:45

I did ask if he wanted to do that, but he's totally against the whole thing. It's actually making me wonder if something else is going on!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: