Talk

Advanced search

Reception Reading Level

(100 Posts)
louisejxxx Thu 18-Dec-14 14:14:57

Shamelessly asking how your reception child is doing with their reading? Not a stealth boast - my ds is floating about between pink and red book bands (seems to get a mixture of both home) just interested really as I'm not brave enough to ask any other mum's in the playground!

I think ds is probably average but am interested to see how others are doing..

Waits for flaming - at least I'm admitting I am just being plain nosey!!

TagineKaput Thu 18-Dec-14 14:27:24

My DS is on green band books. Not sure if it's the same ratings, he's gone through pink, red, yellow, blue and now green. He's one of the older ones in the year (nov born) and it just seems to have clicked in the last few months.

louisejxxx Thu 18-Dec-14 14:36:59

Yes that sounds like it's the same Tangine smile

louisejxxx Thu 18-Dec-14 14:37:59

Should have really put in my first post that ds is July-born.

LittleMissSparklyGreenTinsel Thu 18-Dec-14 16:14:11

DS3 (Sept born) was definitely on pink books at this point in reception. Things clicked for him in Feb/March and he moved up several book bands in a couple of weeks.

SmokyRobinson Thu 18-Dec-14 16:18:54

DD2 (Nov born) is on red, same level as where she started in Sept.

mausmaus Thu 18-Dec-14 16:19:01

dc is not ready at all yet.
they do all letters/phonics first and then start with a mix of boring phonics books and simple getting-read-to books.

I'm not worried, was the same with older dc who reads anything and everything now in year 3.

maizieD Thu 18-Dec-14 17:04:43

then start with a mix of boring phonics books

Don't knock it; Look & Say books are equally (if not more) boring and are far harder for children to read properly.

MrsChocolateBrownie Thu 18-Dec-14 17:18:21

Ds (June born) is on red books and gets one look and say book (too easy) and one phonic book a week. He's great at cvc words and has a good go at sounding out 4+ letter words. He's enjoying reading, wants to read every night, so that for me is more important then how fast he is going through the levels

CharlesRyder Thu 18-Dec-14 17:37:24

August born DS has just gone onto blue. He knows most sounds but still struggles to know which way to say them (so might say slow to rhyme with Slough). He can barely write his own name though so swings and roundabouts here.

simpson Thu 18-Dec-14 18:18:46

My kids are older now but at this stage in reception DD had just gone onto lime & DS wasn't ready to have pink.

Heels99 Thu 18-Dec-14 18:21:26

Purple

Smugnogplease Thu 18-Dec-14 18:29:13

Feb born quite bright compared to my daft other dc she is on end of red band. Writes quite clearly but soles very phonetically. We read briefly most nights but do little more than that.

bearwithspecs Thu 18-Dec-14 20:21:02

End Jan DD on red. Reads them comfortably. Her class are on red and pink but they take slow gentle start at our school and focus lots on all other aspects of school life in first term.

RueDeWakening Thu 18-Dec-14 20:25:04

DS1 is on blue, reading them fairly easily. He has some language issues and has trouble pronouncing lots of the words, but can read & comprehend them fine.

Singleandproud Thu 18-Dec-14 20:28:13

My DD is Sept born and is on Pink. They only started sending books home 3 weeks ago and my DD can read them easily but apparently hasn't read to a teacher yet. At home we have Biff Chip Kipper books and she reads level 4/5.

hellodave Thu 18-Dec-14 20:34:12

Sept born boy on purple / ?level 1. So really simple phonics ones. I am not worried where he is in comparison to peers.... but he is my third and my children seem to go from c.a.t. blending to reading harry potter confidently in a term somewhere in yr2/3

Heels99 Thu 18-Dec-14 20:35:24

Level 1 I think is pink

WhispersOfWickedness Thu 18-Dec-14 20:38:24

Green, December born.
It must vary massively in reception as a year is still a massive difference at this age and schools take different approaches in the introduction of books to take home.

poppy70 Thu 18-Dec-14 21:09:40

Wowseers. Can I ask did all those children who are reading higher levels enter school reading. Because I would question a teacher who moved a child up that fast if they hadn't been reading when they came to school. Their bank of HFW and tricky words would not be high enough nor their phonics knowledge that good. They would come unstuck in key stage 2. Of all mine. Most are on pink books. Some are also reading red books for the phonics and dipping back into pink to build up word HFW. Some read before they came to school and are reading differing levels.

mrz Thu 18-Dec-14 21:18:54

Why do they need a bank of HFW/tricky words? They just need an effective strategy for reading the words on the page, a good vocabulary and the ability to understand what they read.

WhispersOfWickedness Thu 18-Dec-14 21:21:48

Poppy - yes, he was. He attended the preschool attached to the school for two years before he went to school, so preschool was pretty sure about his abilities when he went up, and I suppose they let the school know before he started, as he brought home his first book on his very first day of school. It was red, but I think they'd moved him up to the next stage within a week. He spent the rest of the half term on that level (yellow?) before being moved up to blue. He had a couple of weeks at blue before being moved to green, which is where he's been since smile
He was quite early in identifying letters of the alphabet, he could reliably say the sound and the name of letters by the time he was 2. The past year he has covered a lot of the other sound combinations (phonemes? I'm not very secure on my phonics knowledge! grin), as he was desperate to learn to read.

I am expecting a very different ride with DD, she's 3.4 and has no interest in letters at all, she can identify maybe 3 by sound but not reliably smile She loves books and stories though, so I have no doubt that once she 'gets' it, she will also become an enthusiastic reader smile

CharlesRyder Thu 18-Dec-14 21:22:21

DS knew all letter sounds and several diagraphs and could segment and blend cvc words on entering.

He has read with a teacher twice a day (his own teacher and me) on every school day since entering.

iKnackered Thu 18-Dec-14 21:32:33

October born boy on Oxford reading Tree stage 6. Has a good go at reading things like Charlie and Lola to me.
He's not very good at phonics though so gets a red phonics reader.
He started reading in pre-school thanks to some iPad apps!

RueDeWakening Thu 18-Dec-14 21:41:49

DS1 could read before starting school, his preschool (not attached to a school) teach all letter sounds over their year there, he taught himself a few digraphs before we realised (or his big sister did, playing schools!). Having said that, he's come on loads since he started, the difference is astounding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now