Talk

Advanced search

School librarian

(6 Posts)
madasamarchhare Tue 16-Dec-14 21:01:04

Anyone in this role in a primary school? Do you have much responsibility? How involved do you have to be when you have ofsted inspection etc? Just curious as job come up but not working at mo and this is every day over lunchtime period. Would you recommend job do you like working in a school?

spanieleyes Tue 16-Dec-14 21:07:14

Never heard of one in a primary school, I would imagine it is simply to encourage children to read more and a wider range of books. There is a computer program called "school librarian" which many primary schools use to check books in and out but it is usually run by year 6 volunteers. OFSTEC might be interested in the scheme but I can't imagine they would involve the librarian in discussions.

LonelyThisChristmas28 Tue 16-Dec-14 21:09:33

In my last school (which I left in July) I was a Teaching assistant, midday supervisor and a school librarian..

The school librarian I didn't have much of a responsibility due to my other jobs within the school. I had a set time when each class would come to the library. When I wasn't there I was a TA and a MDS at lunch. I often had kids help me tidy bookshelfs and clean up the library

LonelyThisChristmas28 Tue 16-Dec-14 21:11:00

Forgot to say in my new school I am just a TA so do not have this responsibility however the librarian in my new school sounds just the same description as what I was in my past school

sunnyfrostyday Tue 16-Dec-14 21:54:36

We have a librarian (TA working as librarian one day per week). Keeps track of library books, orders new books, signs them out to children, arranges competitions, book themes, author talks, and does some specific guided reading sessions. No direct involvement with Ofsted, but obviously library was tidy when they visited...smile

madasamarchhare Tue 16-Dec-14 22:02:56

Thanks all. All v helpful. It's a million miles away from anything I've ever been used to doing but I love books and being local and term time it's really calling out to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now